Astronomy Giant planets may host superionic water

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by mscbkc070904, Mar 24, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Chemists have recreated the conditions inside the giant planets with which we share our Solar System. And they've shown that the water inside giants such as Neptune might act very strangely indeed.

The conditions in such planets are extreme: heat of more than 1,000 ÂșC and pressure some 100,000 times what we are used to. Ordinary substances could behave in very strange ways inside these scalding behemoths. And that includes water, as both computer modelling and actual experimental studies now show.

It has been predicted for some years that water under such conditions would act neither as a straightforward solid or liquid but exist in a 'superionic' phase, in which the oxygen atoms are essentially frozen, but the hydrogen atoms can whiz around at high speed.

Rest of Story and Image Presentation

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

This made me think of the radiator in my truck . A radiator is a pressurized cooling system that raises the boiling point of water and coolant so it can continually cool instead of boil over . The opposite of this effect is when you live in the mountains where there is less atmospheric pressure and water boils at 210 degrees instead of 212. (F)

If you were to fill a room with large people and babies (no squish jokes please) there would be no room for the large people to move , but plenty for the babies to roam around in (between feet and legs , and overhead for example) .

Since a hydrogen atom is only one proton and one electron , The hydrogen atoms would be much more apt to share themselves with the tightly cramped O2 molecules by letting them(O2) stand in that crowded room , and wizzing around in the open spaces where only it (H) can fit .

The O2 can only get so close under pressure creating the lattice work for the H to scurry around in .

This has a hint of the Bose Einstein condensate found at the other end of the themometer .

Good post , gets me thinking !