Puzzles & Games Game Master discussion

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by junior_smith, Sep 19, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

so far we have it narrowed to be:

Date:
    in the year of 1820

to be on or west of 0 degrees but in the easter hemisphere.
    and is north of the equator
    Is in Scotland

Item:
    the item begins with either a Q/R/S or a T
    is not related to a major world event

[Edited on 19-9-2004 by junior_smith]

[Edited on 20-9-2004 by junior_smith]

[Edited on 20-9-2004 by junior_smith]

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

The location is Scotland. also, could you edit the title of this to include "round 2", so that when we start the next round it wont be mistaken? thanks

---pineapple

3. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Not bad so far. I think I am going to keep at the location for now, as the item will be the hardest to get. Although, the new approach at finding the item may prove to be quite efficient. Time will tell.

C.

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I think it should be "Round #2 Analysis"

Game Master is the name of the game, if we keep on creating thread with the word "Game Master" it confuse
    the eye... Give thread contrast by giving it different name. That way, both will stand out.

And we will know which is which. Sometime I have to pause and read carefully before I click.

Once we're in here we. Wait did I say we? I mean YOU people can analyze the game. And this is a good
    thing because it keep people up to date.

Here's an example:

===================================================================
    Game Master :: Round #2

Objective: Find the Date, Location and Name of the unknown Item.

The first one to identify the Date, Location and Name of the unknown
    Item will be the winner.

>>>>>>> here goes your analysis <<<<<<<<<<
    ===================================================================

5. Cinderloft

The next question period starts in 10 minutes. If you have not used your questions for this period, do it soon or you lose the chance. For the next question period, what route will you take? Working on the item, or the location? I am going for location.

6. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Ok, I just though of another way to find out the name of the item. The first method that Pizza and I
    used is Dictionary attack. If you don't like the word dictionary, then let's call it Pizza Attack.

Pizza Attack is good to find where the name of the item begin. But less effective when use through
    out. Imagine you have 15 letters in the name. You know how many Pizza you have to cook just to find
    out the name of the item? Alot of Pizza and that means alot of bread...

Here are the following that can be use to speed up in identifying the name of the unknown item.

Does the name of the UI (UI = Unknown Item. I'll be using UI now on). exist in the dictionary?
    99.9% you'll receieve YES as an answer.

Is the name of the UI one word?
    80% will be yes.

Now that we know the first letter of UI is either: QRST we can ignore the second letter and
    try to find the third letter. This will speed up the process.

example:

G r e e n a p p l e
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    | | | | |

We skip one letter each time we go to the next. The one that left behind will be guess later. It's very
    useful to know how many letters there are in the UI. Which can always be ask.

Is the number of letter in UI in the range of x-y?

We can always play with vowels and frequency of letters. But for that, I'll let you decide on how you
    go about questioning.

With an aid of a picture we can find the location in no time. But I'm not sure if such an aid is allow.
    Suppose there's a picture of the world.

We divide it to look like windows, 4 quadrant.

Quadrant 1 is TOP-RIGHt. 2 = BOTTOM-RIGHT. 3 = BOTTOM-LEFT. 4 = TOP-LEFT.

Then we begin by asking:

Is the UI located in Q1? If yes, then we take Q1 and divide it into four and repeat the same reasoning.

If this is allow, then I think the maximum question of the day should be 2!

[Edited on 19-9-2004 by tablet]

7. Cinderloft

For location thats the approach I took. It takes questions and time, but is pretty easy. Its the most efficient way to do it.

8. pineappleupsidedown

The first four quadrents can be the hemisphere splits. then i just use countries in the middle to determine. Not quite as effective, but still fairly effective.

---pineapple

9. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Personally, I think using spelling takes the fun out of the game. This is supposed to be a game of thinking and trying to figure out the clues and get an item and place. Do you really want this to just evolve into a wheel of fortune game by just guessing letters?

Just a thought

10. Cinderloft

Especially with a tool like this:

http://www.onelook.com/

I do agree JC, its kind of a dirty way to go about it, well, not dirty, but un-fun. It was a lot better asking questions about the item, then as to the word of the item. Hey, the rules say they can change at any time right? Unless we are too far in to this one already.

11. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

There is nothing wrong with finding out the spelling of the word. That is using our brains to come up with such a useful method.

12. pineappleupsidedown

true, but it takes away from the item itself. We are now searching for a word, a date, and a location that have no relation. Having an item brings it all together. So I think its more fun to look for the item not a word.

---pineapple

13. tablet

tablet Premium Member

How would anyone know that spelling takes away the fun if no one uses it.

This game IS fun. The fun part to me is not winning, but finding ways to ask. And about the NOT question
    it's very important. It add strategy to the game. Trust me... There should be at most two NOT question
    for each player to keep. Otherwise the winner will be the one with luck and happen to be in the right
    time at the right place. If you truly want competition, take away Dictionary and add in NOT.

Host, you have to put yourself in the position of the player to find out...

I'm sure by the time we have 100 players participating, rules will be very solid. Right now we are in
    beta stage and the rules aren't that solid yet.

So take it easy and chill. If you don't I'll bring in Iceman.

14. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

lol guys, we only hope you learn something from each round. Last round I hope you learned about south africa and well mines and beer, lol. Next round I hope you learn about...

Anyways, the not questions were not thought provoking questions and neither is the dictionary for that matter. I will not change the rules in the middle of the round, but trust me it will go the way of the NOTs.

Yeah you guys are the Beta testers. So dont take it so seriously, enjoy, have fun, and you might just learn something. There will be a chance to reclaim the ::GM:: title if you dont win it this time.

Z Out

15. Cinderloft

I try to learn something every day, and prevent forgetting two things every day. I figure if I can keep that up, even half the time, my mind will still be with me in my later years. :)

16. ilovepizza

Cinderloft it sucks that you will not be able to compete any more now that you are a mod. You were a great competitor.

17. ilovepizza

It starts with the letter T

18. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Pizza, looks like you can find out the item name by visiting www.onelook.com Cin explained to me that it support wildcard.... spoooky isn't it?

19. Cinderloft

I mentioned it to you because your guys' line of thinking led me to believe this was the intended result by at least one of you. I used to own this really old LCD mini mini computer thingy that would let you put in letters and wildcards to find possible words. We used this mainly for Boggle, as it was fast and easy. Thats the only reason I mentioned it. I also did so before becoming a Mod, as that was just a total blindsiding surprise. Now that I am considered staff and can not compete, I can no longer mention much of anything that would involve this game or future sanctioned games. I wish you all good luck, and I cant wait to see the action in the finals!

Cinderloft.

20. craiz

craiz Member

Ok so the location now is pretty narrowed down, except that my map doesn't list any places of note inbetween Drymen and Balloch. So if someone's map is better go for gold and solve this part so we can move on to the item... :)

[Edited on 22-9-2004 by craiz]