Astronomy Future Of Space Travel

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by junior_smith, Feb 21, 2005.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

With the passage of the space tourism bill by the senate. there arises a new situation, should space travel be reulated and if it is regulated by say the USA then do they technically own space? And will space travel infuture become a strictly private organization?

[a good article on the future of space travel]
    http://www.space.com/news/congress_spacetourism_041209.html

[some public views on the regulation of space travel]
    http://www.xprizenews.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

[A compnay in the island nation of tongo ofering space flights]
    http://www.interorbital.com/

hope this stirs of some discussion,

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

3. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Junior,
    At this point, privatization seems to be a "better" way, however, the space program is at a plateau(waiting really for the next great mind). O'Keefe is under investigation, and it seems that the biggest problem at NASA, is ......communication?
    In the next couple of decades, however, it's reasonable to assume that many other nations will have developed effective programs, ......then it's time for "space-junk" competition...that should be fun..

4. junior_smith

the next great mind? we have the ability to land on almost every planet ni our solar system or their moons its just political and money

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Just my 2 cents here but it seems that privatization is the way to go for now. No one country can, or is willing, to fund space exploration like it should be.

That is unless... space travel becomes a necessity through some kind of planetary emergency. The best and greatest developments always come at a time of greatest need.

Until countries are willing to expend the funds necessary they should let private investors run these projects without regulation.

B.

6. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Privatization can lead to certain disasters though. Have to look at who would use that without being monitored or regulated? It was bad enough when the Star Wars program was in effect that nukes could flown into space then traject down to the target.

I think it should be regulated so that way it doesnt get out of hand, cause once we are flying space flights then everyone will have territorial issues. And if anything the UN should regulate it. That way there is a standard for all nations not particular ones.

7. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I just had a thought.... Would this mean that if I had 10 billion dollars to to pay firms to create my own vessle to just head to outer space on my own, would it be legal? And yes,,,,, if I had the money to do it I would!

8. mscbkc070904

Hmm 10 billion to build a life sustaining vessel to explore space...to be frankly honest JC probably cost more especially if you want to be able to take a landing pod out to research and gather research, plus the science lab to maintain it. Not trying to kill your dream, but you are going to need alot...but I am SURE if you got it started oh the $$$$$$$$$$$$ will roll in plus a butt load of scientist trying to get s seat to go with. If you do, let me know, I will work as a cook, janitor, crew chief :lol::lol::lol:

9. mscbkc070904

Just had a thought, dont hire me as the cook, I suck at cooking, unless you have a grill, now I am the shiznig on the grill!

10. JcMinJapan

Well, I will boldly go where no man has gone before.....

Research? Eh? The plan would be not to return.... :0
    I have a feeling that most researchers would want to return back to earth to become famous and write their books to make the 10 billion themselves. My plan would be for me to head to the second star on the right and keep going..... Get my hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, load up on red dwarf movies. Of course I would have to have a large ship with a floor for growing plants.... uuuugggghhhh I am a meatatarian, but I will learn to love veggie salads.. ;) But hey, just give me curry powder and water and I would be very happy..... Yes, Dave Lister and I have alot in common..... lol

I would want to do some of my own experiments and be able to check gravity and atmospheric chemicals of planets. I could even beam back picture of deep space to make all my friends and family rich... :lol:

A small one or two seater pod for e to leave the ship in orbit and visit other planets if I ever actually cam across one I woud go to.

Water treatment facilities and air regerantion facilities would definately be needed. Also, must have a surround sound enternainment center.
    :bouncy:

11. mscbkc070904

Ok if you are not coming back i am sure you will still find a ton of them to go...with todays technology they could do online video chats and write their books from the vessel...

Heres and idea if you want to get rid of homeless people take them with you to cook, clean, maintain engineering, security details...hey they are homeless, at least they would have a home, a bed, a job, food to eat and dont have to worry about paying taxes!!!!!

12. junior_smith

why does it cost so much?

13. JcMinJapan

Well, it would probably cost alot more than 10 billion. The ship even for a crew of 5 or 6 would have to be fairly large and completely self sustaining. Food, is probably fairly simple. But, water and oxygen will be problems. We would somehow have to be able to produce water and create oxygen, especially for a hundred years. The ship would have to be able to tell if objects were on collison courses and steer itself out of the way. The ship probably would be fairly large as you would need more than a crawl space. Possibly a way for simulate gravity? Product its own electricity, possibly nuclear? The propulsion system would have to be able to lift off from earth and keep the ship steadly moving fowards faster and faster... solar sails could help? All of this would have to be developed along with the craft. Much would have to be researched and actually created. So, all of this would cost a pretty penny.

14. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Privatization seems to be the most alluring offer that capitalism sets upon our table of decision-making.

This may be a bit far-fetched, but from personal experience with both military and civilian aircraft programs, I've noticed many stark differences, especially in terms of attention to detail, communication, and "structure."

Could the same be true of a private endeavor into Space? Absent would seem to be feelings such as nationalism, self-sacrifice, and I quess, the whole "Cold War" race-type of urgency that the competitive forces showered upon all of their citizens.

When I think of the future of space travel, for some dreadful reason, the whole NATO picture resurfaces..

15. mscbkc070904

Thanks for the compliment YW.

16. JcMinJapan

Young william... That avatar is driving me nuts trying to read with it going in and out. You are trying to mess with people minds right? :lol:

anyways, I think privatization is perfect. Probably more attention to detail will be offered. I mean, it will be private endeavours that need to make money and provide safety. Of course, one accident will cause consumers to stay away from their products. It may not be like the governments style of LOWEST BID WINS.

17. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Privatization, privatization, privatization of what? They are already doing this with satelite launches. The next step will come when a major user decides it would be cheaper to have bids than to maintain capability and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

18. JcMinJapan

Privatization..... Getting control out of the Governments hands. Why? Well, it seems that the focus of most governments is only how to use everything for their military advantage. Very rarely are these things used for peaceful means. Look, most of the gavernment satellites are for spying or other military means. The private satellites are used for GPS and other useful things that can help humanity develop quicker. I love space and always have had a fascination about it. If I had a chance to explore space, I would go in a heartbeat. Right now, the only people that can go to space are the lucky few astronauts that get picked for them. Privatization will allow many more people to share in this experience. .I am very happy that the bill was passed as it will lead to things like orbiting hotels and possibly moon based hotels much much quicker. Hopefully in my lifetime. Heck, I would love to he the IS Manager of an orbiting hotel!

19. junior_smith

If sapce does become privatized, should we regulate like we tregulate air trvael or car travel and how should it be regulated