Astronomy Frozen sea detected on Mars???

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by JcMinJapan, Feb 22, 2005.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

This is certainly interesting and an event that I will definately keep my eye on.....

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:puz:

A little help here JC - how would a couple of centimeters of volcanic ash stop the ice from melting? Do we see this same kind of "preservation" here on earth?

Dang it - I want another Rover up there checking this out!

B.

3. JcMinJapan

There will be another rover sent up there, but you will have to wait till 2009. They could send me for alot less and I could do any misson they wanted. Hey, give me a shovel and I will glady dig the hole to find out ... Give me a cup and a lighter and I will melt the ice. Give me a chisel and I will gladly scrape rocks. Send a machine to analyze it all and I will collect everything for it. I only need a little pill shaped pod for them to blast me towards Mars... lol

Well, volcanic ash would work to keep the ice cooler and help it from getting enough sunlight to actually melt. But, also remember that Mars is very very cold in the first place. In the summer, Mars has an average temperature of about 20 degrees Fahrenheit or -6 degrees Celsius, although the highest ever recorded temperature was up to 63 degrees Farenheit. But, that would be a freak occurance and also not really be enough to melt the ice enough in a short period of time. This could also be a reason that there are small whisps of clouds on Mars as well. The tiny amount that actualy manages to melt is probably quickly taken into the atmosphere. Now, during the winter, the temperatures will run around -200 degrees Fahrenheit or -129 degrees Celsius.

Mars has a very thin atmosphere and is also alot farther from the Sun than the Earth. So, alot less heat is set upon the planet and the thin atmosphere is also unable to hold in the heat like it does on Earth.

So, I think that it would be plausable under those conditions for a small amount of ash to keep things frozen alot longer than they do here on Earth. But, I have been known to be wrong.... lol:bouncy:

[Edited on 23-2-2005 by JcMinJapan]

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Bleys I was thinking the same thing...need to send a crew out there to drill that area.

I was thinking, if there is water under there, if exposed, wouldnt it create an atmosphere once melted, causeing O2 to start forming, of course it would have to be all around to do so, cause the O2 would just evaporate into CO2 quickly but, couldnt it possibly start a chain reaction to new life growing?

5. JcMinJapan

My guess is that if things slowly melted, then the thin atmosphere would just let it release. But, I would think that if we could somehow do a QUICK melting, then alot would be released, but there would just be to much and the atmosphere would get thicker and rain would have to start and thus get warmer as there would be a thicker atmosphere and thus the cycle would begin.

6. mscbkc070904

Exactly what I was hinting at. Maybe possibly making it a somewhat breathable, if not somewhat habital atmosphere.

7. JcMinJapan

Mars Express detects subsurface ice and minerals linked to liquid H2O
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10267254/

This is a very interesting development, but one frankly I am not suprised about in the least. I think that with the canals and the like, I think it is pretty evident that there was or IS was on mars. Now, Mars is still outside of the temperate zone of the sun, so one the earth starts to leave the zone, it would seem that mars would be next in line. Sooooo, could Mars be lush in a many millions of years from now?

8. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

We do have a similar situ in the arctic. It's called : Permafrost.

Yeah we could possibly melt the ice and let it go into the atmosphere near the equater. The prob is Mars is so cold, it would be like take a cup of coffee out in -60 degree weather the steam would turn to frost at the top of the cup and that is why all atmospheric water ends up at the poles on Mars.

It's also like breathing in minus-minus temps of the arctic-antarctic frost forms at the outer edges of your equipment(I thought this out myself).

The only way to make an atmosphere with this moisture(if it's there) is if you could build a big dome over the lake at or near the equater.

9. mscbkc070904

NASA's Mars Rovers Continue to Explore and Amaze

NASA's durable twin Mars rovers have successfully explored the surface of the mysterious red planet for a full Martian year (687 Earth days). Opportunity starts its second Martian year Dec. 11; Spirit started its new year three weeks ago. The rovers' original mission was scheduled for only three months.

"The rovers went through all of the Martian seasons and are back to late summer," said Dr. John Callas of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. He is deputy rover project manager. "We're preparing for the challenge of surviving another Martian winter."

Both rovers keep finding new variations of bedrock in areas they are exploring on opposite sides of Mars. The geological information they collect increases evidence about ancient Martian environments including periods of wet, possibly habitable conditions.

Spirit is descending from the top of "Husband Hill" to examine a platform-like structure seen from the summit. It will then hurry south to another hill in time to position itself for maximum solar-cell output during the winter.

"Our speed of travel is driven as much by survival as by discovery, though the geology of Husband Hill continues to fascinate, surprise, puzzle and delight us," said Dr. Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., principal investigator for the rover's science instruments. "We've got this dramatic topography covered with sand and loose boulders, then, every so often, a little window into the bedrock underneath."

From the composition and texture of more than six different types of rock inspected, scientists deduced what this part of Mars was like long ago. "It was a hot, violent place with volcanic explosions and impacts," Squyres said. "Water was around, perhaps localized hot springs in some cases and trace amounts of water in other cases.

Aided by a good power supply from Spirit's solar cells, researchers have been using the rover at night for astronomical observations. One experiment watched the sky during a meteor shower as Mars passed through the debris trail left by a passage of Halley's comet. "We're taking advantage of a unique opportunity to do some bonus science we never anticipated we would be able to do," said Cornell's Dr. Jim Bell, lead scientist for the rovers' panoramic cameras

Opportunity is examining bedrock exposures along a route between Endurance and Victoria craters. It recently reached what appears to be a younger layer of bedrock than examined inside Endurance. In Endurance, the lowest layers of bedrock were deposited as windblown dunes. Some of the upper layers were deposited as underwater sediments, indicating a change from drier to wetter conditions over time.

The bedrock Opportunity began seeing about two-thirds of the way to Victoria appears to lie higher than the upper layers at Endurance, but its texture is more like the lowest layer, petrified sand dunes. This suggests the change from drier to wetter environmental conditions may have been cyclical.

Iron-rich granules are abundant in all the layers at Endurance but are much smaller in the younger bedrock. These granules were formed by effects of water soaking the rocks. One possibility for why they are smaller is these layers might have spent less time wet. Another is the material in these layers might have had a different chemistry to begin with.

Rover researchers are presenting their latest data today during the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco. Images and information about the rovers and their discoveries are available on the Web at: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/mer_main.html. For more information about NASA and agency programs on the Web, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/home .