File List

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by Star and Crescent, Aug 27, 2004.

1. I would be interested to know what we were supposed to find in that long list of files that deep provided from the list command. That one continues to stump everyone I think.

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Indeed...

I spent 2 days going over and over the list. I couldnt get ANYTHING.

3. SkepticGuy

SkepticGuy New Member

Smoke screen.

Randomly generated nonsense filenames.

Sorry. :D

4. Kellter

Kellter Member

You Stinker, spent hours on that myself :D. Good one, definitely worked as intended. Thanks for divulging.

Great job by the way!

5. gravtrittont

gravtrittont New Member

But what did " JJDFI UD IDUNFADSUN UDNF IDNMD EUDNA IDNFAD IUDD ID. UDNF DND IDFAD UENFQJD JNDFS. UJDNFS E UNDFS IUEW NDUFDAIU DUNFS UIDFN FND. JNDFS UJND UYRWR UDNPODS YUNFN JDNFAD UNDFPAIUDN IEIE DJSDH UDSFN NDUFND IUDNASDF NUDN. UNDFSD NUDF. UNDFNU DUNFSDN ND MNDMKD." and "38973 23 00346 2134 087310 783247 728 81723 721873" mean. I think these were never solved by hunters.

6. {S&C quickly runs up and kicks SkepticOverlord in the shins}:mad:

That dang file list drove me crazy for days! Nice one though, it definately stumped us all.
    Those types of clues had us crying for weeks out of fustration.

7. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

I bet you had a good laugh at us, Skeptic, when you saw us come up with some INSANE ideas over the file list.

8. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

You know how much of my life I burned up trying to solve them ?!!!

Arghh!

I even had some answers that made sense at one time too.

:mad:

( I wonder how many other red herrings I 'solved'. )

9. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah smirks....

How many times did we all have ideas that we knew for SURE they were correct? ha ha ha I remember a few times that I was looking so deepinto the clues that I actually found threads and everything to support those ideas. Only to find out that they were WAY OFF! ha ha ha

This was a wonderful HUNT!!!!

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I was convinced that the background to the old ID site was a parallel view puzzle . The kind that you stare at and it seperates to show a picture of some sort . I spent at least 5 hours staring at the thing , changing the colors , staring , squinting , refocusing , shrinking , enlarging , stare stare stare stare.......

Thought I was helping in my own little way , but wound up having a pleasant little flashback instead ;)

It is now my background ...... grooooovy

11. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

yeah, i organized all those files, in sections of 0-4. i posted it at ATS. Spent so much time on that.

---pineapple

12. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

Remember when everyone tried to get into the dead zone :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That was funny when everyone insisted there was clue in there. You ended up fiding like 12 threads in that forum which you did not have permission to access. :D:D:D:D:D:D

13. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Yeah, I think I innundated JC with a few paths at the end there that I was sure lead to something. I was basically grasping at straws, but in the wee hours of the morning, even a ladybug crawling across my keyboard was fitting into the solution... I loved every stinkin minute of it too. :)

And for those filenames, yeah, I did everything I could to them. Even handed them off to a few crypto friends of mine with the tools and ability for far more complicated things, they got nothing. Ah well, here we are now. At least I have closure. heh.

C.

14. amantine

amantine Premium Member

There were never solved. I worked extensively with them. I think JJDFI was nothing at all. There is no word resembling JJDFI with simple substitution cipher in English. Now, it may have been poly-alphabetic substitution or column cipher, but that would be very difficult to solve.

The number code does resemble the number output of RSA. You can try yourself here. I never solved this one either.

15. I have to wonder whether or not the whole subversive element hunt was actually staged or not. It would be interesting to know if it really was part of the plan or if someone actually found it and couldnt qualify to win it, and the admins decided to play it off as part of the story. Any thoughts?

16. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I wondered that too. Perhaps some enlightenment from the higher ups? Either way, it still helped make the Hunt what it was.

17. pineappleupsidedown

Anybody with inside info able to answer this? Was it planned that the ring would be "claimed" by -5-, or was this because someone was ont able to verify their age and they wanted to make it part of the game?

---pineapple

18. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I know what happened.... ;)

19. pineappleupsidedown

Awh, comeon, you know you want to tell us....:p

---pineapple