Physical Science Fight Club Fizzy Hand

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by Ape, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Ok I have a question, In the movie fight club when that Tyler guy puts that stuff on the other guys hand and it burns like crazy my question is what was that stuff if anyone knows?

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

awoken good quest, lets start a new thread for it

*POOF*

Remember they were making soap/explosives, that stuff was lye, an organic compound created from ash and animal fat. I dont know much about it otherwise except it was an ingredent in old fashioned soap because in a diluted state it exfoliates and cleans the skin.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

A lot of the explosives they made in the movie could actually be made with the named ingredients. However, the government made them take out some of the steps in the process (the orginal script had the actually recipies) or key ingredients so nobody would "try this at home"

---Pineapple

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

It is also extremely alkali (as opposed to acidic) and strong alkali break down protiens in the skin .

ever get bleach on your fingers and have them get slippery when you rub them together ? That's because the skin fiber is actually breaking down and literaly sliding between the tips of your fingers .

They used to clean school milk bottles (yes bottles)with it in the 40's and 50's . Many children were harmed when they were refiled without a proper rinse and the reaction in the stomach was like one of those vinegar/bakingsoda volcanoes . Big Ouch

5. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

yes a strong alkali (ph greater than 7) is just as powerful as a strong acid (ph less than 7). Anyone know the ph of undiluted lye?

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

A big whoppin' 14 !

7. malik

malik Premium Member

Hey yeah it was sodium hydroxide or lye as Zsandmann has stated.. I made solid soap out of vegetable shortening in my high school chem. class.. hehe heh he eh eh ehe.. it was cool but very rough on skin so I threw it away! Sodium hydroxide has a pH of 12 and a pOH of 2. (I think!)