Metaphysics Fear

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by junior_smith, Jan 23, 2005.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

why, and what do we fear?

do we only fear things we have a choice of/have a way of bargaining. or do we fear the unkown. this is interestng for me, because i wonder if there is an environment where you can eliminate fear

what are your thoguhts?

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I have a fear of flying - it is completely irrational, but unavoidable in spite of efforts to control it. I just hate it to the point where 3 valium and a shot don't reduce my anxiety - it just keeps me from really losing it.

I understand the odds, read alot about crashes (to desensitize myself) and have actually flown a small plane myself. Doesn't change a dang thing. I think a lack of control is what I fear.

So how do you create an enviroment that allows you the illusion of control or for some people - safety? Can you control the unknown or uncontrollable?

I am curious about those fearless souls out there that fear nothing...

B.

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

An interesting quote comes to mind here:

" A dream is the place where a wish and a fear meet. When the wish and the fear are exactly the same we call the dream a nightmare".

(Gregory Roberts, 'Shantaram')

I think you can control the unknown, it is a case of mind over matter. Not saying I'm fearless, but it is possible to combat fear with mind power.

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I have learned to face my fears and go forth. Some fears that I can not face, cause I havent had the opportunity or the courage to face them at the moment they are presented, I compartmentalize the fear and put it aside.

5. oortpower

oortpower Member

I would think that there are no "fearless" people. People sometimes just ignore it or don't respond to it. These people are called brave, fearless, or sometimes just insane.

6. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

what do you think about peolpe who dont fear death? in our world it seems preposterous, but i think that is possible to have no fear of death,
    i think a lot of our fears are products of our technology

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Fear is what makes a man. We fear alot of stuff in life and it is inevitable what sometimes prevents us from doing what needs to be done. Sometimes it is fear that causes people to waste their life. What makes a man is how the face their troubbles and problems. They walk into a situaion that they fear with courage to do what they know is needed. Some run some face. How you deal with the fear is more important than the fear itself in my mind because how you deal with it is what makes you, you.

8. Young William

Young William Premium Member

If fear were removed, I believe the balance of life would become altered in a dysfunctional fashion. As with stress, there is the positive and negative, or eustress and distress. If fear were to shut one down completely, at least from a physical standpoint, then it would have been eliminated long ago as our beings evolved. Fight or flight are the choices that we all face regardless of class, rank, status, etc. Oh how powerful the immaterial can be, especially when abused or ignored.
    I believe that we fear that which is unfamiliar or unpredictable.I believe that we need to pay greater attention to one another, but.......

9. Ape

Ape Premium Member

A lack of knowledege is terrifing.
    For example whay are people afraid of the dark? Because they don't know what's going on around them. But when the sun is out you know what's going on around you, nothing to fear.

Understand what's going on around you and you feel 10 times better.

10. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

All our emotional responces are part of our survival mechanism, without fear we would have been extinct long ago.
    What stimulates an emotional responce is mostly learnt.
    What frightens one amuses another.
    I've use this example before but also here it's relevant.
    Give me two children, I'll raise one to fear and hate something and the other to love it and die protecting it.
    Fear is a potential we have, what frightens us is what we have learnd to be threatening.
    To overcome my fears I have used acceptance...
    acepting my mortality,
    accepting other peoples oppinions (over me),
    accepting my limitations,
    accepting my situation.
    My fears were so deeply learnt it takes years to unlearn, I still get flashbacks which are uncontroled but mostly now I live free of fear.

11. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

fear, and forgiveness...

the human species would have been anihalted through #@!&% for tat revenge a long time ago if we didn't have the ability to forgive

12. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I like the responses to this topic. Fear is an emotional state that is alter by our own personality and character. We all have fears, like I said earlier in the post, I have fears that I have not faced or have been presented. But the ability to displace your fear, depending on the situation, makes all the difference. I have a fear of hieghts, not as much as I use to. But alot of that fear has come thru careless, accidental acts that I have been in. I have fallen off roofs, trees, and other things. When I joined the Marines, alot of that fear was displaced. I mean rapelling off cliffs, buildings, jumping out of aircraft. Yet I still have a problem with hieghts, if its not stable and i am standing on it, I have a fear of falling. I think the part that scares me so, is that I have survived alot of falls without broken bones, and some of those, people wonder how I made it to the bottom because the way I went down without breaking a neck, breaking a bone or getting twisted. Thats where the fear part comes in, I have been so lucky and think that the next I do fall I may not be.

13. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Fear?
    Well......
    Here you go: fear is an emotion that can save us or kill us. For example: if you fea a gun, and someone else is not, and that person is messing with the gun, he/she is likely to shoot themself on accident. However, there are some fears that cause some people to freeze up, which is highly undesireable in places like the battlefield
    Fear is caused by the unknown (as you all have already said).

I personally am not too afraid of much, except for fear that I am insane and am just dreaming all of this (life) or whatever.

And about the fear of the dark: That is caused by the fact that emotions are highest at night. This is an unknown state that frightens us because it is unknowm.

14. TruthBringer

TruthBringer Premium Member

as ghandi once said "an eye for an eye makes the world go blind"

Yours, Truth