Lit & The Arts Favourite Quote

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by junior_smith, Nov 19, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

Ok you knew this was coming, we've had about favourite everything, and to be fair just about evryone ahs a quote as their signature, so here goes.

what is your favourite quote?

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:. Lovely :spam:! Wonderful :spam:! :spam: spa-a-a-a-a-am :spam: spa-a-a-a-a-am :spam:. Lovely :spam:! Lovely :spam:! Lovely :spam:! Lovely :spam:! Lovely :spam:! :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:!!!

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

read in yesterday's paper that Bill Gates gets 4 million e mails a day...must be some inbox he has

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

"Wherever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

"To many lawyers , not enough lightning" Mark Twain

6. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I am by no means a religious person so go figure that one of my favorites is:

The sentiment of not judging a book by it's cover is often overlooked.

B

7. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

"All it takes is all you've got."
    ~(Source unknown)

8. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

"Remember you once said, Lije' that people sometimes mistake their own shortcomings for thoes of society and want to fix [ the world ] because they don't know how to fix themselves."- Issac Asimov "Caves of Steel"

ah the truth

9. DreamLandMafia

Seriously:
    "I Know Not What Weapons WW3 Will Be Fought With, but WW4 Will Be Fought With Sticks and Stones"
    Albert Einstein

and

"Absolute Power Corrupts Aboslutely"

and

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor
    do they deserve, either one."
    Benjamin Franklin

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Well here's my quick list:

"All that really belongs to us is time; even he who has nothing else has that."
    Baltasar Gracian

"Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power."
    Oprah Winfrey

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
    Aristotle
    (384 BC - 322 BC)

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
    Chinese Proverb

"The fool wonders, the wise man asks."
    Benjamin Disraeli
    (1804 - 1881)

11. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I'm about to enter the black hole. In hoping that I can travel through another dimension. If ...
    Tablet

thats funny

12. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Beware, all who fight the monsters of the void... for not only do you look into the abyss, but the abyss looks into you...
    -Nietzsche

You may be obliged to wage war, but you are not obliged to use poison arrows.
    -Balthasar Gracian

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes right to the bone.
    -Anon.

There's one more quote that's a favorite.. I'm trying to find it. It's from Idoru, when Laney and Blackwell talk for the first time.

DE

13. DreamLandMafia

Oh yes...another favorite is:

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thy god and thy staff are with me, and if they arent, IM FED"
    -Dunno Who

*censored self*

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Mizar, I believe yours is the funniest.

I didn't know how to respond but to giggles like a girl.

"As I crawl through the valley of the shadow of ignorance, I shall not take any vaccines; for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they educate me."

- ID Chapter 93.

15. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

My favorite quote: Although not said, I am still waiting.

JCMinJapan, you such an awesome person. Here is enough money for you to live, travel, and just be happy for the rest of your life....... Someone Out there

16. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Ha ha ha JCM, perhaps my favourite quote should be :

There is one in every crowd"

but thanks to tabby I have found my favourite quote:

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
    Chinese Proverb

17. JcMinJapan

The ultimate favorite quote though...

"I love you" ... by that special someone

18. JcMinJapan

For some guys.......

The results were negative..... from your possibly pregnant girlfirend :lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Found it! It's pretty long.

"Now that's a nail," Blackwell said, "galvanized, one-and-a-half-inch, roofing, I've nailed men's hands to bars like this, with nails like that. And some of them were right bastards." There was nothing at all of threat in Blackwell's voice. "And some of those, you nail their one hand, their other comes up with a razor, or a pair of needle-nose pliers." Blackwell's forefinger absently found an angry-looking scar beneath his right eye, as though something had entered there and been deflected along the cheekbone. "To have a go, right?"

"Pliers?"

"Bastards," Blackwell said. "You have to kill 'em, then, Now that's one kind of 'brave,' Laney. What I mean is, how's that so different from what you tried to do to Slitscan?"

"There's other men, you nail their hand to a table, they'll sit there and look at you. That's your true hard man, Laney. Do you think you're one of those?"

Laney looked from Blackwell to the empty bourbon glass, back to Blackwell; the bartender moved, as if to refill it, but Laney covered it with his hand. "If you nail my hand to the bar, Blackwell," and here he spread his other hand, flat, palm down, on the dark wood, the drink-ringed varnish, "I'll scream, okay? I don't know what any of this is about. You might be crazy. But what I most definitely am not is anybody's idea of a hero. I'm not now, and I wasn't back there in L.A."

DE

20. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

My favorite quotes are....
    What they don't know can't hurt them.
    -someone out there
    Life can kill you.
    -me
    What profit is it to a man if he gains the world and loses his own soul? Mathew 16:?(I forget the verse)