ID Lounge Falling in love with a machine

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by tablet, Dec 8, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

The Question:

IF a machine is capable of thinking like a human being able to entertain you. Have feeling/understanding and most of the attribute that human have. The difference between them and you is that you're flesh, they're metal.

Once covered those metal with skin (not sure what material they would use) paint it then you will have a replicate of another human, could be female or male.

Be honest. Would you fall in love with an AI knowing that it's fake skin (although, looks real to the eye) with an artificial mind that can learn and adapt?

This was brough up by DeusEx from another thread.

Let the discussion flow!

2. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Well, if it could do everything that a human can do what is the difference? We are all biological machines after all.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Definatly not, like i said in Deus Ex's thread.

---pineapple

4. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Can anyone provide a link to the thread in question?

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Hmmmm, is all I can muster on this subject. . . it may adapt and act like a human, but it would be like asking if my dog could talk and be intelligent and feel, could i fall in love with it, yes i love my dog but certainly not in that way.

Plus biologically think of it. . . . .on second thought don't

6. elizabeth

elizabeth New Member

No I would'nt fall in love with a machine. Even if it
    looked exactly like a human, I'd still know it was a
    machine. If it told me it loved me, that would mean
    nothing to me but that it had a good program. lol.

7. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

please remember that we are running on social programming, the "machine" would be adapting with AI from what I can tell exactly how we devoloped as we grew up.

8. pineappleupsidedown

9. Gopher

Gopher Member

No machine loving for me....

Although I do see how an individual could fall for the illusion.

10. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

As I mentioned, I've developed quite an affection for SHODAN. Despite the fact that she is a figment of a game, with no physical body, who is intensely evil, homocidal and insane, the game is written so well that she seemed...well... real at points. Mainly, because I played in a totally dark room, with the sound jacked and usually was sleep deprived after playing 4+ hours straight. If she was a real piece fo software, plugged into my computer, who was doing her evilness thing to me with romantic intent... it'd probably end badly for me. ;)

I mean, don't you people value personality and intelligence?

DE

11. tablet

tablet Premium Member

When I say Love, I'm not referring to anything sexual. Take a photo of a child for example. That's what I mean by "love". You love the look on their face, the fact that they're "learning", charming ect..

What about your favorite cartoon characters? imagine now that they're alive and robotic. Don't you love it?

Yes, it's possibly that you could fall in love because you might not even realize that it's a robot when it's covered with fake skin! and even if you know that it's robotic some will fall in love with that fact.

Now, Should WE?

12. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

You mean love as in, I love my dog, or I love my best friend,
    (but would you take it as far as "I love his company" or personlity)

13. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

I doubt it would matter to some- look at the proliferation of online romances. Anyways, I have no objection to romancing the machine. They'll have social and emotional needs too, one day.

DE

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

It's interesting comes to think of it.

Chatting online for example. It requires two computer to communicate. Both computer is controlled by human, but just imagine that there's no human controlling them. What do you think of that!?

For example, you're reading this reply because I typed it. In a sense it is the computer who is typing it, not me. I am an external force that is acting upon it. SO if you think about romance online or any form of chatting... it is the computer who is chatting. The people who punch in the keyboard, basically gives it command.

But then again,, you are also being controlled by external forces as well.

???????

15. OhIgnorantOne

OhIgnorantOne Member

Only When
    It Extends
    Life

:love:

16. SubVolitional

SubVolitional Member

Definetly a fan of personality. A machine would invariably reflect my own back at me and frankly, I find myself quite boring at times,

17. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Of course you can fall in love with a machine!

Here is my current love!

11.jpg

18. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

I think Seth gave the answer...

You could probubly fall in love with a Mecha ,...if your love was founded on how you feel about the machine by how it makes you feel.

But I dont think I would want a Stepford wife.

Ever notice how a guy ALWAYS refer a to machine as 'She'.

19. pineappleupsidedown

Same with ships. No guy computers or ships...

---pineapple

20. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

It's a sociocultural thing. Guys refer to each other by their last names a lot, which indicates respect and distance. Women are refered to by their first names. Guys refer to things as shes or by their first names to indicate connection.

DE