Botany Fake flowers

Discussion in 'Botany' started by pineappleupsidedown, Sep 27, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

How close are we from creating flowers that are fake but can pass for the real thing? And please dont tell me those silk flowers look real :)

I dont think it would be too hard. Here is a picture of a calla lily.

versus the fake lilies

true, they dont look too different, but if you actually had them in front of you the difference would be much clearer.

---pineapple

2. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

One needs to develop a flower that will pass the sense test. Is it possible to create a fake flower that has the distinct smell of the real one? I believe it is, with current technology. How about the look? I think we can design something to be an exact duplicate in appearance. The feel? We probably have materials out there that can duplicate that as well. Hearing the flowers? Well, we really cant hear them, but it would go in with the design of the flower structure, put wind to them and see how they move, listen to their movement. As for taste, well, since they are fake, they are mostly for display and you dont want them eaten anyways, but with all the flavorings and stuff nowadays, it would be possible.

My conclusion: If someone decided to delve into creating fake flowers, I believe they would actually be able to come up with something quite life-like, unlike the garden-variety fake flowers and plants out there that are so obvious.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I think the biggest test would be to trick a bee. If someone could do that i would give them a lot of credit

---pineapple

4. DucKid

DucKid Premium Member

They would need pollen now, wouldn't they?

5. pieman

pieman Premium Member

nope, to fool a bee you'll need nectar. the bee's get covered in pollen while collecting nectar.

6. Kalibur

Kalibur Premium Member

I hope we just stop trying. I don't like fake flowers, Anyone else share my disliking?