Zoology Extinction

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by Icewolf, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

It's been a while since I heard about an animal going extinct but i'm afraid i'm going to have to break the bad news to you all, on the 26th of November this year the worlds rarest bird, the Hawaiian Po'ouli bird, was declared extinct as the last known specimen being held in the Maui Bird Conservation Centre died. There were also two in the wild but haven't been seen for months, they are believed to have died of old age. Hopefully with todays science since we have the body of one, we may yet bring it back. (sounds like something off of star treck but we can only hope)

2. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

If you feel sad about this or would like to report another ""new"" extinction please leave your messages of condolence here.

3. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

What really saddens me are the species that go extinct before we ever even discover them, like ones that live in the paths of rainforest destruction and things of that nature. Often we don't even know what we've lost.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

This is more zoology... moved

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

ok, but it took me a while to find this thread

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah, because it was extinct..... :lol:

7. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

why did they only keep one in captivity? thats just helping them go extinct.

---pineapple

8. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I was asking the same question Pineapple. I can't think of a logical reason. Well I can but its not that good. I have heard of a lot of specail speices only found on the hawain islands going extinct or becoming endangered lately. Mostly because of human population on the islands. It is a sad thing.

9. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

They kept one in captivity because there was only three in the wild and they could only find the one.