Physical Science [email protected]

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by JcMinJapan, Feb 21, 2005.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Ok, you all know about [email protected] Well, now there is [email protected] I am very interested in this and I hope that others will join in this noble quest. You can join the team now. I am at work and will be putting this program on my system when I return home tonight. Below is some information on the study that they will be doing.....

Here is a direct link to the team site: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_display.php?teamid=916

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Ok I dont quite understand how this works. Can you elaborate on this please? Doesnt give much info on how it works and what this does, I mena for us Po Uneducated Folk in the field of astronomy.

3. JcMinJapan

Basically, they are looking for pulars in the sky. This will help us to be able to not only learn about pulsars, but to map the whole sky from our point of view. We can only surrently map and study very small portions of the sky. With this program, they would be able to harness the processing power of millions of machines. They could cut research and processing times from hundreds of years into a few days.

Assisting in this will allow the scientists to process so much data that it will advance the field of study by many years..... any specific questions?

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

:puz: :puz:

Ok, so I'm on Super high speed and installed this program on my computer. Everytime I go elsewhere my computer becomes IDLE and the program will use it for searching....

How? A computer with net connection. How can it search for signal?

5. JcMinJapan

The main supercomputers have collected tons and tons of data from the sky scans. They have stored this data already. What happens is that they download a small portion of this data to your machine. Your machine then processes the information and then uploads it back to the supercomputer. The systems then take the data from all other machines and puts them into order and processes the final processing to find what they are looking for. So, the computer is not searching for a signal, it is just processing the raw information that the telescopes and sky scans produced.

6. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:lb:

Sounds like a great idea to me - I can't wait to get this going.

B.

7. JcMinJapan

Since this was just released a few days ago, we could become a top group!

8. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I'd love to get involved, but I'm alrready involved in a distributed computing program called: [email protected]. They are doing research that is closer to my heart(literally:closer to my heart) as the are trying to cure bad diseases that might kill any of us some day.

My Record Of Folding

I am currently: 37,548 out of 429,034

Maybe when I've cured all disease....

9. JcMinJapan

Here is the getting started guide if people want to know more of the basics of what is happening with the program in general.

With BOINC, you can do several projects at one time.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/intro.php

10. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

i have it but it doesn't do anything, which is unfortunate, i have the programme now how do i make it "download" the stuff to start searching?

11. JcMinJapan

Ok, to get it to start the work....

You will need to have the software connect to the project. To do this, you need to go to click on connect to project and add the url of the [email protected] site and also to put in your account ID that was sent to your e-mail account. After that, it should start the workunits.

12. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

I joined! After I get my other monitor fixed, I'm gonna put BOINC on my other computer.

13. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Participant Total for Grassroots Astrophysics Project [email protected] to Exceed 55,000 On Einstein’s Birthday

College Park, MD, March 11, 2005 – Only three weeks after its February 19th kick-off, the [email protected] gravitational wave detection program is one of the fastest growing distributed computing projects in the world, adding roughly a thousand users a day. At current rates, more than 55,000 people from over 115 countries will have signed up to aid in the search for gravitational waves as of March 14, 2005 - the 126th anniversary of Albert Einstein’s birth.

“I’m thrilled with the response we've gotten in such a short time,” says [email protected] principal investigator Bruce Allen of the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee. “The growing number of participants increases the computing power available to us, and improves our odds of finding something. Were we to find a signal in this way, it be an exceptional moment for both theoretical and experimental physics. It would ALSO be the first such scientific breakthrough that was enabled by public distributed computing.”

By searching data being collected by US and joint British/German gravitational wave detectors, [email protected] allows anyone from the most advanced astrophysicist to elementary school children to participate in the quest for gravitational waves. These waves are subtle ripples in space and time predicted by Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity. The software necessary to join in the search can be downloaded and run by anyone with Internet access.

[email protected] searches the vast amounts of data collected by the US Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory (LIGO) and the British/German GEO-600 gravitational wave observatory for waves coming compact objects such as quark stars and neutron stars.

The LIGO and GEO-600 detectors collect enormous amounts of data that exceed the capacity of even the latest supercomputers to analyze. Instead [email protected] enlists the aid of people who donate computational time on their home computers to analyze small portions of gravitational wave data. The creators of the program from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, the Albert Einstein Institute in Germany, and the LIGO Laboratory hope to involve hundreds of thousands of people in the search, much like the [email protected] search for extraterrestrial signals has done.

[email protected] is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems. The program provides a screensaver that depicts the celestial sphere with the major constellations outlined. A moving marker on the screensaver indicates the portion of sky being searched.

[email protected] is a flagship program of the World Year of Physics 2005, a celebration of Einstein’s “miraculous year” of discoveries in 1905.

Related Links:

[email protected] web page: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/
    World Year of Physics web page: http://www.physics2005.org/

Source:
    James Riordon
    Head of Media Relations
    American Physical Society
    301-209-3238
    [email protected]

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

15. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Aren't you all concern that some skilled reverse engineer might reverse this program to send back the false data??

16. infinite

infinite Member

i find this really interesting, but i still not sure what you are trying to find or map out during these searches :puz:

17. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

Sound like good idea, I had seti in my computer back in 98, occurs it cause lot of problems than now, has gotten better.

I used a lap top on DSL but I am planning to get a desktop since my son has my last one.

I wonder if will slow down a new computer due to the fact that we are using a splitter to have the computers connected, and will wireless be better? than a splitter?

Does anybody knows if cable is better than DSL? for working with background programs like Einstein.

18. infinite

infinite Member

ive signed up and got an account, but im not sure to download the software cause im still not really sure what this is all about.

19. spacedoubt

spacedoubt Member

Hey Marg,

Like Seti at home...You download a small data chunk, then your machine chugs along, processing it. When finished. the Processed data chunk is sent back to the server..
    So really, the only effect is when the data is sent, or recieved. the rest happens local on the machine..
    so cable, DSL difference is negligible..!!!

20. Euphemism

Euphemism New Member

I got the email and I'm going to finish setting it up and join this project when I get home, (I have to celebrate mothers day for my grandmother today, this is going to be like an episode from 'Everybody Loves Raymond' Just without the marriage, since I'm too young for that lol)

JC: This sounds like a great project, keep me posted for more anymroe of them you come across. I'll try to get as many people as I can to join in on this one. While philosophy/religon is my 1st fav subject, Physics is my second, so any contribution I can make is an honor. :pbjtime: :brkdnc: