Human Biology [Easy] Want to know your reaction time?

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by JcMinJapan, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Have your friend hold a yard stick from the top so that it is up and down with the bottom several feet above the floor. Your friend may have to stand on a chair to do this.

You hold your fingers opposite the 18-inch mark, but don't touch the stick! Without warning your friend should let go of the yard stick, and you should try to catch it with your fingers.

Notice what inch mark your fingers are on when you catch the stick. Subtract this number from 18 or subtract 18 from the number to see how many inches the stick fell before you caught it. Try it several times to see if you get the same answer. Let your friend try to catch it while you drop it. Who has the quickest reaction time?

distance dropped reaction time
    2 inches = 0.10 seconds
    4 inches = 0.14 seconds
    6 inches = 0.18 seconds
    8 inches = 0.20 seconds
    10 inches = 0.23 seconds
    12 inches = 0.25 seconds
    14 inches = 0.27 seconds
    16 inches = 0.29 seconds
    18 inches = 0.31 seconds

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/WOP/Reaction.html

I did this one. The first time was .25, the next one was .14 and the last one was about .19 I guess. Quite fun and challenging. I must practice grasshopper! My goal is ti get it down to .10 or LESS!!!!! How did everyone else do?

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Now here is the real question: Is reaction time something you can improve on, or is it just how fast your brain is hardwired?

---pineapple

3. JcMinJapan

good question. Should try this every day 5 times a day at the same times every day for one month. Record the results here. Then see if there is any improvement. Anyone up for the challenge? :D

4. Pookey

Pookey Member

Lol, have fun with that

5. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I used to be able to catch flies in mid-air w/o killing them . Once I caught one between my index and second finger w/o injuring it.

6. DucKid

DucKid Premium Member

I can still catch flies in mid-air without injuring them. It's fun! I'll tell you what score I get when I work on this project later.

7. JcMinJapan

I can see mosquites and crush them very well in midair..... :pbjtime:

8. DucKid

DucKid Premium Member