Physical Science [Easy] Growing Crystals

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by pineappleupsidedown, Sep 11, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I know this experiment is one of the last things oddtodd was hoping for this section, but it really is one of the labs ive done that interested me the most.

Make your own crystal:

Choose a dissolvable substance such as CuSO4(copper sulfate), C6H12O6(sugar) or AlK(SO4)2 (alum).

Heat an amount of water until it is boiling. Add your chemical until even after you stir it, there are still bits on the bottom (warning, some chemicals take a long time to supersaturate water, so start off with only a little water)

Pour this into a glass once it has cooled a tad.

Leave overnight.

there should be crystals on the bottom of the glass
    pour the liquid into another glass and tie one of the crystals on the bottom to a nylon string (best way is to make a slipnot and pull it tight around the crystal, then double knot it so it doesnt come loose).

Hang this string in the liquid.

Every few days you can pour the liquid into a clean container, or you can take out the forming crystal, heat the liquid til the crystals on the bottom dissolve, and after the liquid cools, replace the crystal.

When you are done, you have one very large crystal.

CuSO4 is the crystal i had the most sucess with. I did this with multiple chemicals, but i cannot remember the names, i will edit them in later. Each one forms a different shape. Enjoy.

---pineapple

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Oh poo on that . In hindsight , not everone has wires , magnets , capacitors , batteries , selenoids , piezoelctric chips , solar panels , feul cells (singular) , electrolosizers etc.... just lying around the house like I do , or the equipment to make accurate measurements , and the time to publish results .

Share what you want ! I was planning on showing my 6 year old nephew how to make rock candy with this same experiment . My sis wants me to get it over with before his 2nd set of teeth are all the way in .

I hope to introduce him to as much science as I can as my sis is a single parent , and he needs some cool examples to make him think and start investigating things .

I actually need some simple ones that we could do together . I only see him once a year at Christmas and want to leave a strong impression every year , and this is the perfect way for me to contribute to his developing little squash .

Post a couple easy ones for kids if you have any .... I will still post the more involved stuff , but this forum is better than my excessive scientist idea .

3. pineappleupsidedown

lol, I was just teasing you. Dont worry about it OddTodd. :)

---pineapple

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Cool , I didn't want to come across as a prima-donna because of my earlier excitement . Thanks for sharing the crystals experiment .

If you know of any more that my nephew could eat the finish result of , pass them on . I want to make an impression on him , and have it still be enjoyable for him (learning can be so dreary if one is not shown practical applications IMO) .

learning , mmmmmmmmmm , yummy !

5. pineappleupsidedown

Yes, rock candy sure is good.

Just had two sticks of it right now, and now im HYPER!
    :bouncy::bouncy:

---pineapple

6. I dont even need rock candy, just give me sugar. NOW. I NEED SUGAR!!!!! Help me I want sugar. Is there anybody out there, just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone home? Pink Floyd the Wall:brkdnc:

7. Al Vereco

Al Vereco Member

I think I read this somewhere, might have done it. Can't remember: If you put some water in a glass and tie something around the rim (airtight, like a sheet of rubber or I think clingfilm might work), then gently press the rubber/clingfilm in to create a denser 'atmosphere', and the water BOILS!!! It's still room temperature, though. It boils cos of the greater air pressure.

8. aWoman

aWoman New Member

My dad used to be into growing crystals. He'd mix chemicals and grow
    them in glass jars on a string etc. I have a book on this that is called "Crystals and Crystal Growing" by Alan Holden and Phylis Singer published in 1960 by Anchor Books, Doubleday & Company, Inc., ISBN 0-385-09430-2.

9. pyroboy4206

pyroboy4206 Aka that guy Premium Member

So you take a jar and mix up some sugar water, then wait for some crystals to form? Then when you get a crystal you do what? Confused? You make rock candy like this?