Physical Science [Easy] Acid Volcano

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by Zsandmann, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

So Ive been helping my professor clean out the rock room at CSU. Well the other day he comes to me with a brown glass gallon jug and a 25 pound tub of Baking Soda. Apparently the bottle was HCl, Hydrochloric Acid but he didnt know the concentration so it had to be 'neutralized'. This amounts to making a big volcano like you did in grade school that oozes acid :) Needless to say I quickly put on an apron, rubber gloves, and goggles.

Remember Always Add Acid.

I took a ten gallon bucket and put some water in it and a few scoops of baking soda. Then added acid until the fizz reached half up the bucket. It was very cool watching the reaction. So I repeated this process: baking soda, acid, baking soda, acid... Well eventually I put what was left of the acid in the bucket and poof it overflowed all over the floor. OOPS! All in all it took 45 minutes, 10 pbs. of baking soda, a gallon of acid, and a roll of paper towels to equalize the reaction.

The Result: One ten gallon bucket of salt water, remember the reaction of an acid and a base is a salt.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Just found this as a way for people less lucky than having a fun College science room to play in... YES, I AM JEALOUS!!! :) ha ha

We will fist create what is called 'salt dough' (for lack of a better word. Mix 6 cups flour, 2 cups salt, 4 tablespoons cooking oil, and 2 cups of water in a large bowl. Mix it all together with your hands and keep working it together until it is smooth and firm. Add more water to the mixture if needed.

Get a soda bottle and place it into a pan. Mold the salt dough around the bottle. Please make sure you don't cover up the top of the bottle or drop any dough into the bottle. Take your time on this step and build your volcano with as much detail as you like.

Fill the bottle most of the way with warm water mixed with a little of the red food coloring.
    Put 6 drops of the liquid detergent into the bottle.
    Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
    Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle.

Notice the red 'lava' that flows out of your volcano. This happens because of the baking soda and vinegar mixture. Mixing baking soda and vinegar produces a chemical reaction in which carbon dioxide gas is created - This is the same gas that bubbles in a real volcano.