Earth Science Earthquake in Japan

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by JcMinJapan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Earthquake happening now in Japan. I will update you as I find out more. This was pretty big and lasted for over aminute
    Everything is shaking alot now.

2. JcMinJapan

6.3 Earthquake in Niigata. No tsunami warnings posted.

Have had 4 aftershocks now.
    They are all pretty strong.

3. JcMinJapan

another after shock.. getting smaller now.. That is about the 6th one. Niigata is all the way on the west of Japan. The shocks were a 2 here in Yokohama... all the way accross the country.

4. JcMinJapan

another aftershock, but very small and only a few seconds.

5. JcMinJapan

It looks like Niigata is a little roughed up. Nothing really fell down. Some roads are cracked and they are working on them now. The bullet trains have been stopped to there. 2 people dies and 130 injured. But, not too bad for a 6.3 mag inland and very close to a major city.

9:55pm - 3 people have now died and about 200 injured. It looks like only one building was severely damaged. Like I said before, the roads are pretty baged up, but not destroyed.

It seems another 5.0 quake was off land just about 10 minutes ago. They are reporting on it happening now.

6. JcMinJapan

I will try to get some pics from the TV with my Cell phone camera. So, do not expect anything great... ha ha

22:51 - a 4th person has just died of injuries. Here are a few pics from the TV here in Japan. Sorry not so good, but taking a pic of the TV and added that this is a cellualr phone camera, they are not the best.

11:36pm..... Just felt another one. Probably getting near the end of the aftershocks I guess. This is about the 6th or 7th one.

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Wow this is an excellent thread JCM. I know the pics are not the best but still the fact that we have someone there to take pics and send them in is awesome. Not as a second assisnment you need to go over to where the epicenter was and be a live reporter :) I am reading about it now, seems like quite a cluster.

8. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Anyone heard from JC in a while?

He was the first person I thought about this morning when I heard there had been several quakes.

Hope everything is well. Terrific pictures BTW.

9. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

10. JcMinJapan

In Japan, it is now 16 dead and 1300 injured.

The damage is worse than originally thought last night. But, still could be alot worse.

Wow, look at the road... Notice that it just ends into a hill now?

Look at how the road is split ... wow...

11. DenkenWissen

DenkenWissen New Member

We'll be watching the reports. We all hope you and your family are well and safe.

12. JcMinJapan

The reports say that 21 are dead and 1500 injured. The aftershocks are still continuing , but we do not feel there over here on this side.

13. JcMinJapan

another huge earthuake in Niigata again
    same size as the other day. The building was shaking here at the office.

Just a quick update. Will try to find out more info and get back with you.

14. JcMinJapan

This update is not from the earthquake today... This is from the one a few days ago.

At least 31 people killed, 2,900 injured, 395 buildings destroyed and 3,473 damaged in Niigata Prefecture. A high-speed train derailed; several roads, bridges and rail lines damaged; at least 151 landslides and 11 fires occurred; several gas, water and power lines damaged in Niigata Prefecture. Felt in Chiba, Fukushima, Gumma, Kanagawa, Miyagi, Saitama and Tokyo Prefectures.

15. JcMinJapan

the earthquake today was basically in the same location and registered at 5.7, so a little less than the 6.5 the other day.

No report on damage over there yet.

16. justme1640

justme1640 Member

Wow -- thanks for keeping us updated -- When I heard of the quakes my first thought was for you and your family --

You like earthquakes???? :o Personally I'll take a hurricane any day over an earthquake or tornado--- guess it is what you grow up with and are familiar with.

jm

17. Bleys

Was the town at the epicenter an older one? I wondered if the building and home collapses could be attributable to older designs not up to Earthquake codes.

Is any place safe in Japan if the big one hits?

B

18. JcMinJapan

I have had people talk about the buildings collapsing with the earthquake and the codes for buildings. Well, you have to think of it like this..... That Earthquake shook the whole country! The main part was right under them. I personally do not think in those situations, that there is anything that will really withstand something that powerful. I mean if you look at the pics of the highway, that is a good 6 inched to a foot that the earth went down. So, I think that with only that amount of damage, it is not too bad.

Now, look at Kobe many years back. Well, that much was due to the building codes. But, you have to remember one thing about Kobe as well. Those building and the whole area are very very historical. I mean many many of the building that were destroyed were built before America was created as a country. They just did not have the standards they have today. Now, the building codes in Japan for earthquakes are some of the highest if not the highest in the world. so, if the same thing happened in Tokyo as in Kobe, then the damage would be huge, but not catastrophic. Well, that is depending on how BIG the BIG ONE is obviously. I mean if the ground rips open and shakes with a 7+ magnitude in the middle of downtown tokyo, realistically can anything be done to have built them better? not really.
    Lets consider the 2 largest PEACE TIME fires in the world in a city. Well they were started by the 1906 San Fran and 1923 Tokyo/Yokohama earthquakes.

Also, a thing to ponder about Japan:

On September 1 1923, an earthquake hit Tokyo and Yokohama. The shocks reached between 7.9 and 8.3 on the Richter scale and were recorded as far away as the north of England, California and Washington DC. It has been 81 years since that has happened. Now, a big earth quake in Tokyo and Yokohama have been recorded on an average of once every 75 years over the past few centuries. We are now 6 years over that mark and there have been alot of quakes on land recently here. Makes ya wonder huh?

BTW: Hurricanes? Love them also..... I actually went out in Hurricane Iniki when I lived in Hawaii. I love stuff out of the ordinary, even if they are dangerous. ha ha

19. Bleys

I didn't mean to imply that they should be "up to code." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BTW - How is the child they found that had been trapped?

20. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Another one, this time 5.2 magnitude, 11 miles underground. Niigata again. 9am (Japan) this morning. So far only reported injuries are a man who burned the back of his hand when cooking.

I remember several quakes in California (more than a decade ago), but never a cluster like this.

Stay safe JmC!!