Human Biology Dwarf New Piece In Evolution Puzzle

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by helenheaven, Oct 28, 2004.

1. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

In an astonishing discovery that could re write the history of human evolution, scientists say they have found the skeleton of a new human species, a dwarf, marooned for eons in a tropical Lost World while modern man rapidily colonised the planet.

The finding on a remote Indonesian island has stunned anthropologists like no other in recent memory.

source: Christchurch Press October 29

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Calling her the 'Hobbit Woman'

24.jpg

Source: New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/s...27200&en=dd9f3206adb8ee8a&ei=5059&partner=AOL

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

yeah, New Zealand has been over run by hobbits since a strange series of movies was filmed here...

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I saw this yesterday and couldn't believe it - incredible.

Just when you think we have a good understanding of the world around us - we get a little curve ball thrown to us.

B

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Makes us wonder about evolution. How correct are we on our theories of evolution, when we get thrown curveballs like this. Makes you wonder huh?

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

makes me wonder if those guys from the lollipop guild could actually be real , and on their way to my house with a giant psychedelic spinning sucker right now !

Sleep deprived .... sorry :p

7. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

I'm not so sure that this is a curveball. its an example of a phenomenon thats known to have occured repeatedly in evolutionary history, namely that largish species when isolated on small islands become small. North Asian Island mammoths that are much much smaller than their continental relatives. Also, the press releases that I've seen have quoted researchers as noting that these dwarf homos are found on a few islands, and each is thought to be a different species, which fits in well with Ernst Mayr (the 'grand old man of evolution')'s ideas about speciation being caused under an 'allopatric' model (namely under geographic isolation). I don't see where floris man is going to cause problems for evolutionary theory.

8. SubVolitional

SubVolitional Member

I agree with Nygdan. If anything, this could reinforce evolution by illustrating how imperfect a process it is. Many designs were drawn up before settling on the current model,as it were.