Astronomy Do you remember...(10th planet)

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by pineappleupsidedown, Sep 9, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

When I must have been in middle school (approx. 5 years ago) there was this thing in the newspaper about a possible tenth planet. It was going to be called Planet-X and it was about the size of texas. They didnt want to offically name it however until they studied its path for awhile just to make sure it wasnt a passing meteor.

I havent heard of it since, and now they are talking about a whole new set of planets??? (refering to Zsandmanns thread)

Anyone have any idea of what im talking about?

---pineapple

2. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I believe they didnt classify it as a planet, as it was too small. Actually, I think it was close to the size as one of our other outer planets, and that planet was going to lose its designation as a planet as well. Anyone got any more info?

3. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I think you probably heard about Quaoar or 2004 DW. The Sedna site refers to these KBOs.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I checked on NASA and the question of Planet X or a 10th planet has been asked alot. Here is the answer...... This is the end of the article, but probably the most important.

8.gif

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Thanks you all. Everyone else i talked to just thought i was imagining things. I feel better now.

---pineapple

6. Subdued

Subdued Emotional Wreckage Premium Member

Uhm... I'm sorry I am digging out such old topics, but I was away from the board for some time, so I'm trying to catch up with things right now.
    Anyway, just couldn't resist to give my opinion on the article - I too don't think that Pluto is a planet. Moreover, I don't think anybody should keep counting it as one. I know that the scientific doctrine has already established itself, but I do believe that when our knowledge makes a progress, we should aknowledge that. With other words - we should convert to an 8-Planet-System:yes:

7. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

No problem Subdued, keep digging them out if you find them! :)

I don't think pluto should have been classified as a planet either, it is smaller than our moon for one thing.