Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

Physical Science DISCLAIMER/LAB SAFETY: READ THIS!!!

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by JcMinJapan, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

SAFTEY IS FIRST!!

Even if you're just boiling some water, there is always a chance that you are going to bump into the pot and pour the boiling hot water all over yourself, get third degree burns, and die. (and of course blame it on the person who told them to boil the water)

Now add some chemicals, like Oxidizers and Metal Powders, not to mention some Radioactive material, and you've got a real recipe for disaster.

Any chemistry experiment, no matter how simple it may seem, has the potential of being dangerous... even if you follow directions exactly as stated.

USE COMMON SENSE

Conduct these experiments at your own risk, we assume no responsibility for your actions, or the consequences of your actions, these experiments or any consequences resulting from trying these experiments.

Information and experiments that are on this forum are not intended for Children. Make sure that you completely research to ensure that the experiments or science projects are correcty explained and not misunderstood by the party posting them. Some of these can be very dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced. If you intend on conducting experiments with pyrotechnic, chemical, or basically anything else, make sure you are familiar with the materials & chemistry, physics etc involved in your project, or are working under the supervision of an adult who is!

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by JcMinJapan]

[Edited on 10-25-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Lab Safety

Some things to keep in mind while doing a science experiment:

1. Have neutralizers nearby.
    If you are working with acids, keep some baking soda nearby. Baking soda is a base, so pouring some on an experiment gone wrong (i.e. a spill) can neutralize the solution to prevent accidents. Citric Acid can be used to neutralize a base. You can also dilute either one, but this would not be recommended when a spill occurs, but when you want to dispose of a substance with a very high or low PH factor. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Always Add Acid!!!
    Whenever you need to dilute either an acid or a base, do not pour the water into the solution!! Instead, pour water into a container then add the acid (or base) to the water.

3. Wear appropraite clothing for an experiment.
    Pull back long hair, close-toed shoes, no loose clothing, and wear eye goggles, gloves, and aprons when appropriate.

4.Location, location location
    When you read an experiment, decide where the best place for the experiment. For example, if you plan on makeing a water bottle explode using dry ice, you should do it outside, but not near a police station. If you want to see the leavening qualties of yeast, the kitchen is probably the best spot to be. If you are not sure where you should conduct an experiment, ask somebody. Or DONT DO THE EXPERIMENT.

5. Use a safety shield or screen if an explosion is a possible result of an experiment
    I think that one is pretty self explanitory.

6. Prepare for fire
    Fire lives off three things: oxygen, fuel, and heat. Take away any of these things and the fire goes out. So if you are working with fire, keep at least one thing nearby to extinguish the flame. Knowing where the nearest gas shutoff valve is is very important as well. If possible, keep sand on hand rather than water as an extinguisher.

7. Keep Murphy's Law in mind
    "If anything can go wrong, it will". Keep water nearby to flush out eyes in case of chemical contact, etc. Just be prepared for the worst.

I hope that accidents will be minimal here on ID.com, and if anybody has other safety advice, please u2u me or one of the other mods/admins
    ---pineapple

[Edited on 10-25-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

3. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I like to tinker with electricity and magnets , here are e few simple ones :

Electricity can KILL !!! If you do not fully understand the nature of your project and the power supply you will be using DON'T DO IT !!!! Do some extra research and make sure you are aware of all the particulars before you start .

Have a volt meter and circut tester handy to determine if electricity is flowing or a capacitor is charged up .

Even small batteries can be dangerous ! If you are connecting several dry cell batteries together and wire them incorrectly they can EXPLODE . I was fortunate enough to disconnect a small set of 9 volt batteries when I realized they were almost to hot to touch ! ( See rule 1)

Capacitors are dangerous and hold a charge for a very long time . They can completely discharge all of their energy in a fraction of a second , they can give quite a shock and the big ones can make your heart skip a beat or kill you . Do not take apart monitors , flash cameras , garage door openers or anything else with a capacitor without finding the bugger and discharging it .

Do not work on live wires . Duh....

When in doubt and testers are not available , don't touch !!

High voltage can kill or give quite a jolt but high amperage will cause muscle contraction and actually cause your hand lock around a live wire making it impossible to release while you get fried . It is best to even turn on a light switch with the back of your hand with this in mind . You can pull away from a jolt if your han is not clenched aroun a wire this way .

When working on your computer (disconnected of course) be sure to ground yourself to the metal casing . A small static shock can fry a transitor and be very costly to repair . They make bracelets with a small alligator clip to attach to yourself and the case just for this purpose .

I had to replace a receptical in an office wher the power could not be turned off due to all the necessary electronics on the same circut . I wore heavy rubber gloves and disconnected one wire at a time and covered the exposed bare wire completely before moving on to the next . A short circut would have fried alot of electronics and I made the client sign a disclaimer before I started . Not recommended but can be done safely with rubber gloves and attention to detail .

Always test a 9 volt battery by placing it on the tip of your tongue . Do not test a car battery in this manner however . ( You know I am kidding right?)

In case of emergency , or if lost in the woods with a dead cell phone , take a wad of tinfoil and crumple it around two small wires that are then connected to the input leads of the phone / CB . Put the tinfoil in your mouth and chomp down on it as hard as you can . The reaction between your fillings and the tinfoil will create electricity that can be used to charge your phone . This will of course not work for those who have perfect teeth with no fillings , but will work extremely well for those who have gold fillings or crowns due to the high conductivity and reactivity of gold . This is very painfull to do , and best attempted by a group of people taking turns chomping on the tinfoil wad . ( An attempt at humor on a serious subject )

Electricity should be taken seriously and not worked with by the amature or uninformed layman , leave it to a pro ....