Human Biology Difficulty Falling Asleep

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by tablet, Oct 9, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Who here have difficulty shutting down their mind and body inorder for it to rest peacefully?

Does it comes with age? What's your method to kill yourself and fall asleep?

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

My method to go to sleep peacefully... I learned this from a good friend and it works great.

First, laydown very comfortably.... Start with your toes and make the muscles tense then release them. Do this for about 30 seconds or so. Do this with your calfs, then thighs etc etc until you get to your head. It is very relaxing. Next I take 10 deep breaths, but very very slowly. Breath in deeply and out very deeply. As you breath out, you get very very relaced. It takes about 10 minutes, but all works very very well to give you a very deep relaxing sleep.

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I meditate for 10 min or so befor i goto sleep sometimes i go over 10 min because i dont think about time but your really not suppsoed to.

i also meditat before quizbowl meets, concert preformances, or large tests aka SAT ACT ( #@!&% things from hell)

i find meditation a great way to clear your mind and understand and listen and think better.

there are many forms of meditation you just have to do your own research and find which fits you best

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i really can't meditate before i go to bed, because it really gives me this weird feeling, a really surreal peaceful feeling but it is by-far the best feeling in the world

5. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I have difficulty "shutting down my mind" and getting to sleep. I don't mind it. The one to two hours in bed before sleep give you time to reflect on the day already gone and the day to come. I get my best ideas in that period, because I'm not distracted when I let my mind meander.

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I listen to music, set on a sleep-timer.

Its worked great for me

7. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

well I guess it depends on whether you are falling asleep alone or not.....

personally I like to read myself to sleep...but one cannot be selfish....

8. Fiorina 161

Fiorina 161 Member

ah sleep...

i'm a night person, sleep better during the day,
    though i have a hard time getting my mind to "shut off",
    i lived down town of large city[10+ years] and have a noise thing ,
    if it's to quite i jump at any sound, but i found a happy med.
    i live next to a highway, it sounds like a water fall.,
    being that i live in the usa and in a weird urbin/ green space/highway
    area, i totaly can not sleep with out my baseball bat, think of
    it as a "tedy bear", for old people.
    F161

9. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i have such a troubel falling asleep i have to take sleeping pills, they work but taste absolutely dreadful if you get them stuck on the back of your throat

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I'm also a night person. I find night to be peaceful and quite. I never take sleeping pill and I don't recommend taking it. Amantine and I are in same boat. I just can't shutdown my brain. I tried meditation, but it only work for a few days.

I experience both day and night and I find that Night does have disadvantage (has to do with the brain). I don't know how to explain it perhaps I'll bring this into the philosophy section. If you know, shout it.

11. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I know sunlight causes you to produce some chemical in the brain that promotes happiness so when you dont get in the sun or artificail sunlight for along time you experience depression. Personally i dont like taking medication when it really isnt needed. Have you ever read the warnings of some of the sdtuff you take even OTC stuff. My god some of the after effects and side effects are worse. i simply make sure my body has enough minerals ad vitimans for me to do it myself.

12. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I am personally a day person.... I wake up with the sun almost everyday. Also, I am tired by 9 or 10 pm. When I lay down, I am usually asleep in less than 5 minutes. Even if I am up all night, I find it very ahrd to sleep during the next day. I get about an hour or two, then just cannot sleep.

13. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Me, I'm a night person. I have trouble sleeping too - I wake up a lot.

What I do is throw in a cd, turn the volume down and put a pillow over my head. The pillow thing is a relic from sleepign during the day, to keep out the light...but even when it's dark it helps.

Usually, when I head to bed it's something quiet that I'm listening to. Classical music, APC, that sort of thing.

DE