Astronomy Decision of Doom

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Ok i have this "bug" where every year i buy some new peice of astronomical equipment because i get antsy and like uh....... change, yea thats it, change.

any way the decisio of doom has boiled down to one of two peices of equipment

1. Large Binoculars. like 14 x 80's or something
    downside high cost 200-300$, limited magnification
    upside small, portable, and easy to set up and use

2. small telescope 60- 80mm
    downside may have poor optics in the 200$ price range, may be cumbersom and awkward with EQ mount

upside cheaper than binoculars, can change magnification eaiser to get.

so i duno what to do i already have 3 telescopes a 10 inch a 3.5 and a large 80mm refractor. but i yet again want something new.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

My advice... I think with the scopes you have, a $200 scope will not off much improvement if any. Go with the binocs... You can have them for viewing the moon for hours while lying down on a blanket.

If you pop over to ATS, you can find the UFO and watch them easier... :lol::lol:

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Just had a brainstorm..... Can you get a camera mount for one of your other telescopes? If so, that would be awesome.... Mount a camera on and snap away.... :pbjtime::pbjtime:

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

i thought about that considering i have an old pentax from 1969 and its fully manual and a 4 megapixil digi cam. but on my 10 in scope i cant track considering its a dob. but on my ETX 90 i can.

the main idea that drove me away from that is i cant drive even though im 17 and i live in new orleans suburbs and light polution is bad.

i have taken pics of the planets and the moon before though.

i really do want to be able to take pics of bright objects though so i have been researching it and tryign to get off my lazy but and go to the DMV for my licence

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

How about an nice couple of eyepices? thats an idea!