Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

Debate forum!!!!

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by ilovepizza, Sep 1, 2004.

1. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

I like the idea of having a debate forum. I am curious to see what other members think of this idea.

2. intrepid

intrepid New Member

You don't have to ask me twice, I'm up for that.

3. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

I like it!:up:

But if ID is supposed to be a sister site to ATS...and be among the ATS Domains...and ATS already has a Debate Forum....then what is the point of having one on ID?

4. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Member

Well... We can have differnt types of Debate Topics than ATS does...

5. intrepid

intrepid New Member

I would like to debate the benifits of beer.:D

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

A debate forum on this site would end up being like this. There would probably be no Ethical debating (that is for ATS) and no religion (ATS once again). It would be based by facts on research.

Some examples:
    Artificial Heart VS Human Heart Transplant
    Natural Plant Medicine VS Man-made medicine
    Anti-Matter VS Nuclear Propulsion
    Beer Good or Bad (but, forget about the ethical side of it ATS stuff there) (This would have to focus on the health risks or advantages)

Although these would be very interesting for me, they may require more than a one person response. We do not have a large enough community to create these teams and get them started. Probably we will want to have research groups following these different things first. This way, there is material out there and much knowledge in these areas.

Right now, we are a bit small for all of that. But, I do agree that there are many good debates we can have. But, we need to get meat on these here bones in the forum first... ;)

:D:D:D:D

7. intrepid

intrepid New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I think this site will take off very quickly. Personally I'd be thinking about something to stem the influx once things explode, and they will. A safety net.

8. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

A debate forum would be good for the future, definately. But as JC said in an earlier post, we need more meat. As for members, we are growing. Getting close to a hundred already. Not bad at all. I predict a thousand by the end of this month at least.

9. intrepid

intrepid New Member

I think that is conservative. Also proves my point. Is the site ready for an explosion?

10. DreamLandMafia

I dont think thisll get to 1000 members by the end of the month....

And if it did most of the members will be the people the sign up JUST for the sake of signing up.

11. DreamLandMafia

Heh!!

Whoever said 1000 members was WAY!!!! off...even for a board affiliated with a such a huge board as ATS.

12. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

YES!

A debate forum would be a good idea, even tho ATS has one, the debates in IgDen could be more along the lines of 'punctuated equilibrium vs. phyletic gradualism' or 'multiple levels of selection in biology vs. reductionist 'genes only' selection' or 'plate tectonics vs expanding earth' 'creationism v evolution' or even debates between differeing philosophical positions, or say between different cultures having similarities because being under 'similar circumstances of existence' vs whats called 'diffusionism', from one or two main sources, (not, say, atlantis and lemuria as the sources but rather eastern africa or polynesia and the like). There are defintiely interesting and genuine controversies in science, history, religion and politics and all the rest, outside of the more 'specultative' and unsupported conspiracy type faux 'controversies'.