ID Lounge Debate 1 Commentary thread

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by Zsandmann, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

This thread will be for outside discussion of debates in progress.

Z

[Edited on 14-4-05 by Zsandmann]

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I was thinking about this, a discussion on all sides about Tech vs. Basics. By means of basics, I am referring to without the aid of any type of computer system, how many people still know how to acquire, search, learn, ability to perform actions in life. For example, dewey decimal system, use a typewriter, morse code, when was the last time people read the newspaper, played a board game, gone a week without utilizing a cell phone or internet to get info, etc.

Just thought of another one, back in school when you did reports, this is for the older folk here, remember using the encyclopedia to get your info, along with other books?

[Edited on 3-26-2005 by mscbkc070904]

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Good luck my opposing team, remember no member of Lupus Infinitas has ever debated before just incase you though our arguments were a bit weak. But we'll try our best, maybe we'll learn something.

[P.S it would be helpful if the [edited on. . . .by Zsandman had a time of edit so i could work out when exactly my 48 were up]

- Ice -
    Once again good luck!!!

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This is a little strange the way we approach this. I know JC/Mizar and JS is in for a really really big bang. What I find strange is that my opposing team believe in big bang but now they have to try to logically deny it which I believe is impossible since we have so much talk on Big Bang elsewhere on the net.

Next time it should be like "I'm up for a big bang debate, who here want to oppose me?"

Instead of shocking and putting the player under pressure. But hey, I could be wrong in this remark!

So it's either my opposing team will be in for a Big Bang or mine will be in for a super bang.

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Nah I kind of like this. It does what I always tell people to do.

To acheive true happiness you must deny yourself and throw down your pride but it is in an attmept to gain the ultimate prize... True happiness.

Its nice I like it. I've denied myself many a time this will just be on something er.... different.

6. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

there we go people i've started the ball rolling,
    It's strange finding arguments for tihngs when all you know is scientific theories, so i've tried ot stick in some logic and fact. Hope you enjoy this debate.

- Ice -

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

After careful consideration I have decided that I will cry if I make a formiatble argument in the next 48 hours....:lol:

8. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Hrmm I just remembered I left some bread in the oven. I don't uh.. want the monster to eat it so uh... I might not have it ready...

I'll have it ready I'm just nervous and procrastinating.:lol:

9. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I actually like this style... In a debate, we do not get to pick the stance, just debate it on the stance we are told to give. It really is fun either way.......

10. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

tick tock

11. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Just wondering if we will be having a one day floor debate where people from the public can contribute towards the debate for one day only?
    (no members of the debating teams can post anything in this debate)

- Ice -

12. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

That is an interesting idea, but it would have to occur after the decision has been made on the outcome of the debate.

13. JcMinJapan

good idea! :lb:

14. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Its funny I opened up one of the recent issues of Scientific American and one of the main like 7 page artiicles was on the Big Bang and its Misconceptions.

15. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Unfortunatly Mizar has edited his post, I dont see any visible changes but I must call a forfeit on this debate. We will conclude the debate in a civil manner, and attend to it as an active debate. After the conclusion, other members will have a week to comment before the thread is locked. Sorry to pass the bad news, and good luck.

Z

16. tablet

tablet Premium Member

My suggestion for future debate is that we allow them to fight in the ring until one of them resign!

Once one of them resign, then the summariser can step in.

17. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

that's proposterous, put it like this, if it were me against JC neither of us would back down ever! lol

18. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

I used to look forward to having a reason to the encyclopedia when I was in school. I still love them and have a few older sets, from the late 1800's and another from the 1930's. It's a really good way of getting a grip on just how much things have changed. :up:

19. JcMinJapan

:lol::lol: and :yes: you are right. Even if we knew we were wrong, we would still have at it.... :lol::lol:

Well, congrats to our opponents, but I still want to see well written summaries as this is a very interesting debate and would like to see their strategy at the end.

20. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I DIDNT EDIT MY POST!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.