Lit & The Arts Dan Brown - Digital Fortress - May contain spoilers!

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Zsandmann, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I just finished reading Digital Fortress, it was very good, I am going to go and get another book in the series soon probably. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if anyone wants to discuss DF let's get it going, Im eager to see what others thought.

Without wax
    Z

2. crayon

crayon New Member

I read Digital Fortress after The Da Vinci Code. Very entertaining.

I liked the idea about the keyboard switching. But 2 problems arise.

1) In a secure environment like that, how does someone get ANY equipment out of the room?

2) In that same secure environment, why are passwords not required to be changed every month or so? It would make the keyboard trick somewhat useless.

3. PurdueNuc

PurdueNuc New Member

The book was overall entertaining, but I'd rate it somewhere with Harry Potter. The ending especially pissed me off. The plot through most of it was well thought out, with some nice twists, but it seems like Brown had a publisher's deadline to meet and rushed through the ending. It reminded of the ending to a cheap made-for-tv movie. Them all sitting in the control room WATCHING the hackers approach the database. Give me a break! And, the "prime difference between hiroshima and nagasaki" - pure garbage. Little Boy was a uranium-fuel gun-type device, while Fat Man was a plutonium-fueled implosion device (so the difference would be between 235 and 239, or 92 and 93, which as I recall was proposed by someone in the book and thrown out).

Anyways, I have also read The DaVinci Code and Deception Point, both of which were pretty good. Seems DaVinci is pretty much a required read now, as so many people have read it it's good for conversation. Deception Point has a very intriguing plot, with a great twist at the end. I certainly recommend it for anyone who likes techno-thrillers.

4. crayon

crayon New Member

Actually both were uranium. U235 and U238 I believe. I could look it up, but I am lazy at the moment.

5. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I have not read Da Vinci Code but I have heard a lot about it. I am looking for a new book to start reading. Would you reccomend it?

6. PurdueNuc

PurdueNuc New Member

I'll do it for you: http://www.nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Med/Lbfm.html

Little Boy used highly enriched uranium (natural uranium is mostly 238U, Little Boy was mostly 235U, with maybe 2-3% 238U). Fat Man used a plutionium core (as did the Trinity test device), which would be mostly 239Pu. Brown makes up the 235U and 238U stuff for some reason.

I assure you, 238U would be a very poor choice for a weapon. Its fission cross section (essentially the probability of a neutron causing fission) is very low (several orders of magnitude below 235U). Reactor fuel in the US is enriched to about 5% 235U for this reason.

Cinderloft - DaVinci Code is a good yarn, a nice quick read (two days for me). Brown keeps the action moving, and throws several surprising twists in to keep the reader interested. I suggest you give it a read and form your own opinion, I've heard from people who have loved it and from others who have hated it. However, most people who dislike it do so because of the content (the "attack" on the Catholic Church, for instance), not because of the writing style.

7. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

I went on kind of a Dan Brown kick thissummer and read DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and Dgital Fortress. As far as quality goes, I would rank them in the same order I read them (above), though none were a particularly bad read. As far as digital fortress, I agree with Purdue on the ending. And aparantly the David Becker guy should play the lottery cause he is one lucky SOB, tracking those people down like that. And I felt a little sorry for the guy that got killed for selling his coat.

8. crayon

crayon New Member

Damnit, ignorance denied. Thanks, now I will have to go beat the crap out of the guy who swore that both were uranium.

9. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

Dan Brown is an excellent author. I've read Angels and Demons, The DaVinci Code, and Digital Fortress. The only one I haven't read is Deception Point, but I plan on getting it soon to read it.

10. yourdementia

yourdementia New Member

I thought they where all a good read apart from the ending of dp and the main character falling out of a helicopter and surviving in A&D,,bit far fetched..DVC raises some good points but some people are taking it way to seriously:D

11. CRAY

CRAY New Member

just out of curiousity...anyone ever figure out any of the codes he puts in his books? like the number sequence at the end of digital fortress?

12. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Yup I have cracked them, I think I posted them in The brainteasers section actually

13. lord_lizarus

lord_lizarus Premium Member

To solve the codes is easy but I don't want to spoil the secret so only u2u me if you want the answer