Astronomy Comet Impact Probe

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

[Edited on 12/18/2004 by Mizar]

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Only 59 days before impact...

have you got your telescopes ready? NASA and deep impact.edu are looking for any and all astronomers to observe, document and take photos (if possible) before and after the impact.

There is a beginner's guide for true novices and an intermediate or advanced guide for you diehards. I can think of a few of you right off hand.

I hope everyone, who can, will sign up for this - it sounds like a great way to be a part of the space program.

B.

3. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I signed up to have my name on the cd in the nose of the impactor, when that was available at the NASA site.

Didn't everyone?

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I never though to vicariously slam myself into a comet digitaly . Silly me !

5. bodebliss

Well when you put your name on the CD you get a nifty certificate from NASA with your name on it thanking you for participating.

It's neat!

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Wasn't trying to diss ya bliss ! It does sound cool .

May think of you on impact day :)

7. blue

blue Premium Member

just a side note- there is a woman in russia who is sueing nasa to stop the impact, or at least hoping to be reimbursed to the tune of millions because the impact will change the prestine nature of the comet and cause her irrepreable harm to her psycie knowing that it has been damaged. So maybe we should just call the whole thing off?

8. bodebliss

You say tomato and I say tamoto.....

What? Miss my chance to impact an asteroid. No way, Man.

9. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Can a Russian citizen sue a US govt agency? I dunno but that is pretty funny.

10. blue

blue Premium Member

apparently they can try- check out msnbc-alan boyle cosmic log- april 20, 2005- astrologer sues over deep impact

11. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I'm strictly hands off with astrophotography on the eyepice. count me out for that one. I don't have tracking motors on my scope so I cant take long term exposures Its all m,anual on the "big guy" GWAHAHAHAHA
    Ok...
    But yeah I need to renew my S&T subscription I keep forgeting what to do with my scope haha

12. spacedoubt

spacedoubt Member

Looks like the First Picture is IN!

A little fuzzy. But isn't that what "comet" means?
    A fuzzy star..

Here is the story

Photo of Temple 1