Lit & The Arts Collecting opinions on a book - The Satanic Verses

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Cinderloft, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

For those of you who have not read it and do not know what it is, Salman Rushdie is a former Muslim who wrote a book about Islam that highly offended the Ayetollah, and caused him to be condemned to death.

For those who have read it, I would like to know your opinions on both the book and the religious fevor that it caused.

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i don't think he was attacking islam i think he was just using islam as an example when talking about religions.

i think he hates religions and used islam to show flaws because he knew islam best.

also is slaman rushdie out of hiding now?
    (for those who don't know after writing the stanic verses, one ayetollah sent a death squad after him, and salman went into hiding)

3. Pisky

Pisky New Member

I remember trying to read it when it first came out - I think I got through the first few chapters before giving it up as a bad job. Maybe I should give it another go one day, especially with what is going on in the world now.

4. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

5. BlackFlag

BlackFlag New Member

Most of the people that were "deeply offended" by the book didn't read it.

I think that says all that needs to be said about their opposition and anger.

6. olprt

olprt New Member

best read ive had in ages.....

just his sheer imagination is overwhelming. i cant imagine what must have been going though his mind while he was writing it..its an absolute masterpiece (bit freaky at times)

i recommend it to everyone..

i think that it was offensive (if it wasnt why would the muslim community have made such a fuss about it) but since this sort of material doesnt offend me and the book is so superbly written...well u get the idea...i loved it

7. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I haven't read it yet, but if it's anything like other so-called offensive books and poems, I'll probably not find it very offensive. I'll probably read it in the future.

I believe I read somewhere that the actual offensive part is not that long, just a couple of pages. Even if I were muslim, which I am not, I wouldn't be bothered much by that. I also think that not many actually read the book. They just needed someone in the 'western world' to show that they are not weak and that they want to be taken seriously.