Astronomy Closer Look: Jupiter

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by JcMinJapan, Sep 7, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun at 778,330,000 km

A day is equal to 9.8 Earth hours and a year is equal to 11.9 Earth years. Jupiter spins faster on its axis than any other planet in our solar system.

Jupiter has 58 satellites (moons)
    For the outer satellites the convention is that the satellites in direct orbits have names ending with -a, and those in retrograde orbits have names ending with -e.
    In 1610, Galileo discovered Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. So, these satellites are known as the Galiean Moons and are the largest of all the known satellites.
    For information on all of the moons, please visit Jovian Satellite Fact Sheet

The atmosphere is made up mostly of hydrogen (89%) and helium (11%), with trace amounts of methane, water vapor, and ammonia. The gas gets denser as you go deeper and turns into liquid toward the center. The gas clouds in the atmosphere are what gives the colorful texture to Jupiter.

Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system and is about 318 times larger than Earth. The diameter at the equator is 142,984 km while its mass is 1.900e27 kg. It has more than twice the mass of all the other planets in the solar system put together. Actually,

Cool Facts:

The Great Red Spot is a high pressure region with clouds, it moves in a counter-clockwise direction. The reason it is read is that it is thought to contain red phosphorus. The cloud tops in the Spot are higher than the surrounding clouds. The Great Red Spot is about 12,000 by 25,000 km and is about the size of two earths.

Jupiter has rings, though they are much smaller. Jupiter's rings were discovered by the Voyager 1 in 1979.

If Jupiter was about 50 to 100 times more massive, it would have formed as a star rather than a planet, as it is mainly composed of the lighter elements Hydrogen and Helium. This is also why it is known as the Gas Giant.

It is guesstimated that Jupiter doesn't have much of a surface as such, it is thought to have a rocky surface with large amounts of dense liquid. The pressure inside is expected to be about 30 million times greater than the Earths.

Jupiter, sometimes called Jove, was the King of the gods in Roman mythology and the son of Saturn.

For very detailed information and great photos of Mars visit NASA

10.jpg

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The information you have supplied has intrestig details. i can recall thoes long summer nights peering through my 10 in dob at the gas giant king of planets for 30min- 1 hr while suffering the torments of misquitos. Jupiter is a magnicifent planet but o so deadly

i was verry upset when gallieo spacecrafet had its turn for the worst. it was sush an aspiring mission

i hope cassini does beter with saturn.

3. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

I was looking through my telescope while at the coast this past week and just now realized the star I was looking at was actually Jupiter! I had a hunch when I saw two satellites close to this 'star' and two other's that were a slight ways away that this had to be The Giant... also, if I tried to focus just a little more on it I could see two horizontal lines running across this monster.

Spectacular site to see it was. :)

4. pyroboy4206

pyroboy4206 Aka that guy Premium Member

I wish I had a telescope. :(

5. Derek

Derek ■֎؜♫■ Staff Member

Well for beginners I recommend one like what I got for christmas.

Eventually I would like to get something that is more powerful, but this does the job for now. :up: