Technology Cloaking?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Ape, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Self explanitory is cloaking a full human body possible? If not totally making invisable to the human eye then can we get close? I was thinking is there anything that light can't reflect on? Ok, u need light on something to see it, what if we could move light so that you apeared gone but really weren't?
    Any suggestions?

2. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

How about something like this?

Pretty neat technology, but still has a long way to go until we have "cloaking" devices.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I was talking to my physics teacher, and she suggested we would need a material that interally reflects at a very low critical angle.

Think of optical fibers. the light only shows up at the tip of the fiber, but not along it. That is because the light reflects off the inside of the material until it reaches the end and escapes the tube.

---Pineapple

4. blue

blue Premium Member

I read in the paper the other day that there is a new moniter screen that shows what is behind it- making it almost invisable exept for the writing on the screen- ala predator- and i heard the army was working on such a gizmo, dont know how far they've gotten- but if somethings out in public ild sure like to see whats hidden away! Maybe one of you guys have heard about what what i saw. If ild known ild be discussing it a couple days later i wouldve paid more attention

5. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I was thinking is it possible to bend light around and object? Or what about glass. Light goes through it. What if we could use what makes glasa, glass and make light go through people or an object?

6. blue

blue Premium Member

well glass can- hence the use of light in fiber optics- the story on the screen i had mentioned was written by craig crossman of knight ridder news service- check it out its pretty cool- he writes on the technology beat

7. MENGUARD

MENGUARD New Member

Why not take the same principle as The Philadelphia Experiment.And make a suit that would posses this capability.This jacket probaly would create holes in our space continium,like The Philadelphia Experiment.:ban:

8. Tjololo

Tjololo New Member

In a book by Matthew Reilley entitled Ice Station, there is a plane that uses a nuclear powerplant to electrify the fuselage and change the density of the air immediately surrounding the plane. Because the density of the air is different, obviously, it bent the light around the plane. The problem is that it required tons of electricity. Do you think this would be possible? I assume it is sort of like the heat waves you see over cars and parking lots in the summer. I don't know if electricity would change the density, but it might. Putting that much power into the air is bound to do something...

9. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

The U.S. Army want to invent a device like the predator used in the movie Predator.

The garment would take the view behind and put it on the front and the view from one side and put it on the other. As long as the soldier was still and his face was covered he would disappear.

10. Raideur

Raideur Premium Member

Not possible with current technology.

Even if you somehow managed to produce such a device, it would be pointless anyways. To completely cloak yourself from all EM bands would require something quite incredible. I dont particularlly believe that we understand how to deny time and space yet...so I dont see how a truly functional system would work.

As for simply making an object appear cloaked, IR radiation will be your nemesis. It cannot be shieled effectively from a human or tank, or ship/aircraft. If you somehow built a tank that recorded and projected a image of the other side, it would be obvious under IR.

You'd think this would be great for aircraft, being literally invisible in the sky, but Radar and IR sensors dont use light EM, but other bands, negating visual stealth.

Course, as newer light and thin optical devices come out, you *could* produce a simple device to make such desired effect, but it will Never be very effective.

11. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Yes it would not be invisible to IR detectors, but rice farmers(day) guerillas(night) don't have that kind of technology.

So we have that tech we stand in the woods and watch the native women bath in the waterfall while we ready to attack, Ha Ha!