Astronomy Can't land on the Moon

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by pineappleupsidedown, Dec 8, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Can\'t land on the Moon

My physics teacher says we can no longer land on the moon, because it is no longer a goal for us and our technology no longer supports it.

Does anyone else know if this is true or not?

---pineapple

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

We can do it. It is not a matter of money either. There is simply a lack of public support for it though. I actually hard that something like 55% of the nation wants to see us on the moon by the end of the decade though. But I think your teacher is puting his/her personal opinion infront of facts and teaching it to you. Im perty sure that we can do it. we have the capabiities and we have the means.

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Unfortunately, your teacher is correct in many ways. When the US took on the Apollo mission. In the 60's, many thought that the missions would lead to permanent settlements on the Moon.

In the 60`s we spent about .8% of our GDP on the space program. Today we spent about .2% on the space program. Apollo ended due to costs pure and simple. Apollo started and was sustained by the desire to win the SPACE RACE. Plain and simple, the US was getting beat in the space race. The Russians had the better rockets, the more successful flights to space. The USs only goal was to LAND ON THE MOON. This was important and the US decided that they would WIN the space race if they could do it first. So, they spent any and all money on this program just to land people on the moon. Once we did it, the funding dried up. The Russians were lead by Nikita Khrushchev in the 60`s and he pushed the race along with Kennedy. Khrushchevs really prized space Firsts and once Yuri Gagarin made the FIRST Space Flight, Kennedy decided to fund Apollo with all he could give. Although it is hard to say who won, the US decided this course was the winner. Anyway, even though all childish in the reasoning, I love the fact tat we made leaps and bounds during that generation. But, as I said before, once we landed money dried up!

Did you know that NASA had to cancel three Apollo missions for which flight vehicles had already been built? True, once we "won" the unclear space race, we stopped everything. Many scientists guess that with current funding and a commitment to going to the moon, we could probably achieve it around 2015. If more budget, the sooner we could achieve it. but with a growing need to social reform, Iraq war costs rising, increased US debt, I do not foresee us even being there by 2050.

In order to go, we could use the THINGS learned from Apollo, but technology has changed soooo much that most of the engineering would be taken back to the drawing board.

Sadly enough, Apollo was designed only for that one challenge. Land a man on the moon. They were not designed to test things, to setup settlements, to study anything. Just get a few pilots only up there to say "One small step...... " But, there is sadness in his words looking back at them. Everything that was achieved by Apollo is basically wiped out and really means nothing now. We only went back a few time to prove it some more. Picked up a few rocks and returned to earth only to let the whole achievements collect dust and to become OLD TECHNOLOGY. Quite sad as there was no giant leap for mankind from this. Other than to say ... We landed on the moon a few times 40 years ago and our men stayed no more than 3 days. Other than that, we basically have not done anything more that Yuri Gagarin did 43 years ago this year. Orbit the Earth. But, at least we are doing tests up there now.

So, Yes, your physics teacher is sadly telling the truth.
    Hope you enjoyed todays SPACE HISTORY LESSON 101. :D

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

OK he proved me wrong....

O WELL IM STILL OPTIMISTIC:p

5. Freelance

Freelance New Member

That is a deffinate yes... believe it or not it is estimated that it would take us about 15 years to develope the technology to go back to the moon.

Another side bit of info... The space shuttle can't leave earth... not the land but the gravitaional field. It is not fast enough to escape the earth's gravitational pull.

So it could never reach "outer" space.

6. Freelance

Freelance New Member

P.S. the 15 year estimate does not include the remote possibility that we would all at once increase the spending and research... this estimate is based upon what is being spent now.

7. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Dont worry about it Mizar. I didnt believe her either when she would say random illogical facts like that, til i started finding out she was right.

Now i take her word for it...usually.

---pineapple

8. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Remember... physics is always more wild than real life! :lol:

So, your physics teachers may make things sound unbelievable, but they are always true. Now, you can always trust your physics teacher, unless it is the PE teacher filling in the position..... ha ha ha

BTW, that last part was a joke. :wow: