Astronomy Calling all astronomer buffs

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by mscbkc070904, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I found this in a kids website of facts, is this true?

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

I didnt know this....and can you explain why they do and why Venus doesnt?

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I always thought that Venus' clockwise rotation had to do with a collision during the solar system's birth. Here's a couple of other theories:

B.

Source: http://www.idialstars.com/usd.htm

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

so if the poles did indeed shift (as heard of on ATS) woudl we rotate differently?

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Physical vs. Magnetic?

The pole shift discussed on ATS and other sites is a magnetic pole shift and not a change in the earth's rotation. Earth has already experienced magnetic pole shifts in the past.

Venus's bass ackwards rotation is unrelated to magnetic pole shifts and stems from a physical or enviromental cause.

More on magnetic pole shifts:
    Note: I was not aware that the sun had shifted - does anyone have any information on this?

B.

5. mscbkc070904

Several key things come out of this. Well because I am not up on this...

1. I thought the sun was a ball of gas with molten mass constantly shifting and molding, therefore how could it have a north and south pole?

2. And if the suns poles shift, doesnt that shift the orbit of the solar system? Physics gurus, can you answer this?

3. If the Earths poles shift from a few degrees to 180...could this explain the atmospheric anomolies we have as well as geological shifts, freak storms and the possibile contribution or main factor to global warning?

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Venus rotates very slowly as well as opposite of the other planets, but so does Uranus. No one knows why this has happened, but there are two theories and they could be combined to make one.

1. The rotation of Venus was formed when two planets hit each other and thus creating its current orbit.

2. The Atmosphere is so thick that over billions of years, it slowed down the planets rotation that was the same as earth and during this slowing down time, the momentum kept the planet in that direction and is slowly spins in the opposite direction.

Possibly a collission could have caused this the #2 to happen as well. But, any possibility is out there. Venus rotates very slowly and one day on venus is about 1 earth year.....

Talking about the poles..... Did you know that the polee of Uranus point directly to the sun?

You can learn about the planets here:

Mercury , Venus , Mars , Jupiter , Saturn , Neptune , Uranus , Pluto , Sun

7. mscbkc070904

Thanks for the data JC reading it now, great stuff.

8. JcMinJapan

The poles do shift and the Earth would probably expeience one fairly soon in astronomical terms...lol But, shifting poles would not really account for much disruption on the planet and it is a natural event. But, this would not just change the Rotation. Why ... Well, we are orbiting the sun... the sun is orbiting the galaxy, the galaxy is probably orbiting something as well. A pole shift is very small in the scheme of things... I cover this concept in alot of depth on this post: http://www.ignorancedenied.com/viewthread.php?tid=1678#pid12073

9. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Question for JC Do u have any theory on what that huge scar on Mars is? I mean it doesn't look natural.

10. JcMinJapan

I am taking it that you are talking about the Meridiani Planum region of Mars. The scar there is something like 1500 kilometers long. Personally, my view is that this is a tell-tale sign there where was alot of liquid water on the planet at one time. It is very close to the look of the Grand Canyon in my opinion, so that is what I am thinking it is. Now, we all know that Mars does have small wisps of clouds and does have alot of ice frozen at the poles. My guess is that there is possibly liquid water underneath the surface and may or may not have actual life in there. Personally, I would not be suprised. But, we would need to be able to dig a fair ways down to test this out.

I remember from Dr. Knoll that we will soon be coming to some different areas on Mars with the Rovers and he is expecting some interesting findings....

11. JcMinJapan

I found this interesting, I just found it, but it was posted November 2004. This certainly opens up a new debate about life on Mars. The Scar would seem to support this theory as well.

12. Ape

Ape Premium Member

So the areas with methane might have life? What, underground?

13. JcMinJapan

Well, that is the ultimate question. Technicall, there should only be trace amounts.. something must be producing it from somewhere. My guess would be bacteria underground. But, this is from just me guessing. I doubt that there is anything large living, but would not be suprised to see bacteria. After all, life can live in pretty harsh environments......

14. JcMinJapan

I just found this..... Read the whole story, it is very interesting.
    Exclusive: NASA Researchers Claim Evidence of Present Life on Mars
    WASHINGTON -- A pair of NASA scientists told a group of space officials at a private meeting here Sunday that they have found strong evidence that life may exist today on Mars, hidden away in caves and sustained by pockets of water.

The scientists, Carol Stoker and Larry Lemke of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley, told the group that they have submitted their findings to the journal Nature for publication in May, and their paper currently is being peer reviewed.

What Stoker and Lemke have found, according to several attendees of the private meeting, is not direct proof of life on Mars, but methane signatures and other signs of possible biological activity remarkably similar to those recently discovered in caves here on Earth.

15. mscbkc070904

Ok we need to start preparing for a full invasion of rovers to search, investigate, report and educate quickly now! It would be awesome to see if there is some type of remote living organism there. It would unlock so many unknowns and take hypotheticals and theories and turnign them into trues or falses.