Sociology Breast feeding in Public

Discussion in 'Sociology' started by tablet, Nov 23, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Are you against it? No, this is not pet this is baby and the mother. Here's a scenario, the mother is breast feeding her baby inside a restaurant.

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

is this illegal?

---pineapple

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I'm not sure. But for restaurant, they don't allow. What's the difference between a nice looking woman who dress in a way that is almost revealing her top and it's OK.

But not for a mother who breast feed her baby and COVER IT! I'm talking about this taking place inside a restaurant.

4. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

baby would be crying in said restaurant causing EVERYONE discomfort if it was not being fed . It is part of nature , we all needed to be fed when we were infants , and whether it is a bottle or a #@!&% , I don't think anyone should say a thing to a mother feeding her child .

On a different note , I was walking in a Latin section of SanFrancisco and saw a 5 year old latino boy crying and screaming , being dragged into a vacant store entryway . The mother hiked up her shirt and nursed a FIVE YEAR OLD !!!! Her choice I guess , and I certainly would not dare say anything , but I thought there are going to be some psychological problems for both of them in the future .

Here's a follow up question , when does a mother stop nursing ?(Moms out there , let bottle fed oddtodd in on your oppinions)

BURP

5. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

crikey

5 years old ? oh my god, the teeth!!

stop when they get teeth!

nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, its perfectly natural !

6. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I personally wouldn't be offended by it, babies have to eat so often that it's not very feasible for new mothers to have to go home every feeding time if they have errands to run, social plans, etc. I would think most women would do the "blanket over the shoulder" trick, which really prevents any potentially "objectionable" scenes, and even if they don't, I'd hope most people would be mature enough to see it as a natural part of life...

7. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I wouldn't want too see that in a resturant, other than that I wouldn't be offended.

8. pineappleupsidedown

I agree with Aubiefan, as long as they do not completely expose themselves, i am fine with breastfeeding babies. What do you expect them to do instead?

---pineapple

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I've made up my mind. I'm against it. (for the sake of discussion)

10. helenheaven

11. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I think we subconciously (and consciously) sexualize The #@!&% too much.

It is there for a purpose (no, not that purpose Seth) and if a woman does breastfeed we shouldn't equate it with sex or nudity.

I mean ask yourselves why does a woman feeding her child make us uncomfortable? It has to be that hold-out puritanical conditioning that most of us grew up with - the human body should be covered, is dirty or distasteful.

Just my very emphatic 2 cents.
    Bleys :saint2:

12. helenheaven

Exactly Bleys.

When we see a cow or an ewe nursing its' offspring in a paddock it seems cute and natural...but for a human, it seems controversial.

Crazy world.

13. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick Member

Wouldent have a problem with it atall, but others might and in a situation like this with the baby bawling or people eating then maybe she could go to a private room there if possible

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

IF we human decided to dress to look nice and professional and to eat in a place that is well lit and professional then breast feeding in there is not professional.

Therefore I think breast feeding in rest should not be allow.

*By the way, I don't care about restaurant... do whereever you want. :D

15. pineappleupsidedown

I agree with you Bleys. If the baby was only sucking on a mothers figer to get milk, it would be no big deal, but since society is so focused on sex, we naturally see the sexual side of the matter...the chance this woman could possibly be exposing herself.

---pineapple

16. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

Well as a young mother I remember the uncomfortable feeling of feeding time no fulfilled, not only the woman body when become a mother is ready with two mammary glands to feed the newborn baby, your body will let you know that is time in a very uncomfortable, way.

When the baby wants mild, the body will prepare, it does not matter if you are in public or not, your breast will leak if the need is not supplied to the baby.

I never gave a darn about what the people around though, when my babies where hungry I did what a mother does as part of motherhood I fed my babies.

Now I do not agree that you just pull your breast on public and feed your baby but you can walk to the bathroom and do it.

Or like I did many times I had a baby blanket to cover my breast and my babies faces with it.

I never had any bad looks but knowingly smiles for other women and men usually just ignore it.

And I do not agree that children older than a year should be breast fed in public.

This was many years ago, now a day people makes a natural thing between a baby and her mother into some kind of pervert thing.

17. rawiea

rawiea New Member

This past summer i was at a family reunion (wife's family, if it matters) and sat to talk to my neice. It was cool and rainy. When I realized that the shawl she wore covered both her and her feeding son, I got up to give her some privacy. She called me back, saying she was covered. We caught up on the past year since I had seen her last. When she finished, I got to hold and burp my great-nephew (?) before my wife did. I know that has nothing to do with the topic, but had to share it.
    A restaurant is a place to eat. How many besides my wife and myself carry crackers into restaurants to placate young ones (grandchildren now) while the food is being prepared? Or how many carry jars of food or bottles of milk to feed their young in public places? As my neice told me, " You probably see more breast on Network TV, and nobody says anything."
    Go for it Ladies! You were made that way for a purpose, and that is not just to make old guys like me happy.

18. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I dont really have a problem with it, it is natural and must be done. However I wouldnt really want someone sitting in the table beside me at a sit down restaurant doing it while I was eating, it has doing to do with body parts, it has to do with the noises. I can stand seeing any images,, smells etc and not get sick but noises, like those a feeding baby makes, make me nauscious. I dont have any idea why.

19. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

I suppose it really all depends on who is being feed.;)

20. instar

instar New Member

Thats the most disgusting, disrespectful thing i ever heatrd of, she should be thrown out of the restarant immediatly, even if its snowing outside! disgraceful!

NOT!!!! get a life, really some folk are not happy unless they are unhappy, bunch of whiners! Who cares if a mother feeds her baby in a restarant, personally i think its lovely to see such a natural and loving guesture, i prefer that than see a mother looking bored while shoving a bottle down the babys throat, cold and mechanical, like most things these days.
    P.s Before you mums shoot me, I KNOW you cant all breastfeed for various reasons and its quite ok to bottlefeed, baby must eat, but i just prefer to see "natural". :)

And NO, im not a perv either, im a dad, whos wife did both, at home and in public, its no biggy!:D