Puzzles & Games Brain Teasers 11-20 - Solved

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by smilingsarah82, Feb 21, 2005.

1. 11) There are four people that need to walk across a bridge in the middle of the night to get to the other side. Only two people can cross the bridge at a time and they have only 1 flashlight, which they all must use to cross the bridge. They need to cross the bridge and have all four people on the other side in 17 minutes. One person can cross the bridge in 1 minute, another person can cross the bridge in 2 minutes, another in 5 minutes and the other in 10 minutes. How do all four people get across the bridge in 17 minutes using 1 flashlight? (No, you cannot throw the flashlight across the bridge for the other two people to use to cross over.)

11- Ignore this one Answered Here

12) Farmer Joe came to town with some watermelons. He sold half of them plus half a melon, and found that he had one whole melon left. How many melons did he take to town?

13) How many letters are in "the alaphabet?"

14) If 2 hours ago it was as long after one o'clock in the afternoon as it was before one o'clock in the morning. What time would it be now?

15) Dave likes indigo but not blue. I like onions but not turnips. I like forms but not shapes. According to the same rule, do I like tomatoes or avocados? Why, please explain.

16) My brother, the local bus driver, was telling me that recently he was driving a bus full of people and no-one got off on the way. However, at the end of the journey, there was not a single person left on the bus. How?

17) A certain large animal lives happily and thrives here on Earth. One day, every single one of these critters is wiped out by a mysterious disease which affects only this particular animal. There are none left anywhere on earth -- they are all gone. About a year or so later, they begin to reappear on Earth again. How can this be?

18) What is it that has four legs, one head and a foot?

19) Using eight eights and addition only, can you make 1000?

20) Karen, Jeff, and Chris have 42 baseball cards all together. Chris has twice as many cards as Karen. Karen has 6 fewer cards than Jeff. How many cards does each person have?

Good Luck!!

[Edited on 2-23-2005 by smilingsarah82]

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by smilingsarah82]

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

11. too much thinking...i know how its done but having a brainfart..
    12. 3
    13. 12
    14. 5
    15. neither tomatoe is a veggie and avocado is a fruit
    16. They all got off at the end of the journey
    17. The critter is asexual
    18. ??
    19. Yes
    20. Karen-9 Jeff-15 Chris-18

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

4. Gopher

Gopher Member

888+88+8+8+8=1000

5. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i just spent like 10 minutes doing 9 and then i scrolled down to reply and there it was

6. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

17, an egg survived

7. mscbkc070904
    12, 13, & 20 Correct!! try again on the others

Pineapple
    11 - Voided, sorry bout that one
    12 - try again

Gopher
    19 correct!!

Icewolf,
    17 - try again.... sorry

LOL junior smith

Left to go:

14) If 2 hours ago it was as long after one o'clock in the afternoon as it was before one o'clock in the morning. What time would it be now?

15) Dave likes indigo but not blue. I like onions but not turnips. I like forms but not shapes. According to the same rule, do I like tomatoes or avocados? Why, please explain.

16) My brother, the local bus driver, was telling me that recently he was driving a bus full of people and no-one got off on the way. However, at the end of the journey, there was not a single person left on the bus. How?

17) A certain large animal lives happily and thrives here on Earth. One day, every single one of these critters is wiped out by a mysterious disease which affects only this particular animal. There are none left anywhere on earth -- they are all gone. About a year or so later, they begin to reappear on Earth again. How can this be?

18) What is it that has four legs, one head and a foot?

good luck!!

[Edited on 2-23-2005 by smilingsarah82]

8. Rancor

Rancor New Member

14. 12hrs apart, half of that is 6. Six plus 1(time of day) is seven o'clock', thats the mid point and since it was 2 hours ago its now NINE.?
    15. tomatoes cause thats were ketchup comes from. I dont know .
    16. single as in not married or what?
    17. Could be an animal that is a mix, like a liger or a mule.:??:
    18. a bed?

9. sorry it took me so long to get back to you, i moved
    ok, so:
    Rancor,
    14, correct
    15, sorry try again
    16, sorta correct, i'll give ya that one: not a 'single' person left on the bus meaning they were all married
    17, Correct, The animal is the Mule. Since all Mules are born sterile, you can only get a Mule by crossing a donkey with a horse. That is how the species is able to repopulate itself.
    18, Correct

still to go #15,

10. Tebbo

Tebbo Member

i think i got it

Dave is blind.

He likes indigo because he can define it by the feel of jeans
    He likes onions because he can feel the individual layers to determine it
    He likes forms because he cannot ses ahpes
    and she likes tomatoes because avocado's would hurt his hands when he tries to define them

11. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Tebbo, thats articokes that are pokey, not avocados(the main ingredient in guacomole)

---Pineapple

12. Tebbo

Tebbo Member

DAmmit!!!ELEVENONE

thought i really had it

EDIT: ok still going wtih my same theory:

Tomatoes because he could not feel the seed inside the avocado and would hurt his teeth

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by Tebbo]

13. sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone on this one,
    then my computer crashed and i lost all my answers....
    i remember that 15 had something to do with liking things that either end or begin with a preposition, but i don't remember whether it was avacado or tomato.

needless to say, this set of brain teasers has come to an end.....
    -sarah

14. eskimofever

eskimofever New Member

you've got to be joking. how can you forget the answer to such a question? a question that's been bugging me for over a week? surely there is an answer in a book or on a website, wherever you found it. :o:(:no::o:o

15. sorry eskimofever, i just went looking for the site, and i can't find it....... :(

oh wait, i found it.... now good luck finding that question cause i re-numbered them
    Brain Teasers

[Edited on 3-26-2005 by smilingsarah82]

16. eskimofever

eskimofever New Member

yay!:bouncy: i'll message you the answer, the thread can continue!

edit: also, would someone please briefly tell me what this site does? i don't know much except that there are smart people and a forum. thanks in advance.

[Edited on 3-26-2005 by eskimofever]