Lit & The Arts Books vs Movies

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by pineappleupsidedown, Sep 11, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

As Im sure most ppl will agree with me, the book is always better than the movie. I could list examples, but I dont think i really need to. However, can any of you prove me wrong? Have you seen a movie that in comparison to the book is superior?

---pineapple

2. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

NOPE. Books are always better than the movie. I can't really think of an example where this wasnt the case.

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Lord of the Rings ?

It certainly exposed a lot of people to Tolkein who otherwise would not of read his books

4. crayon

crayon New Member

But Tookein's books had much more story than what the movies showed. I still believe the books are 10 times better than the movies.

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

The books are 100 times better... but, most people will not bother to pick up the books to read. Movies are great in the sense that they introduce someone to the storyline and allow them not to use their imaginations....... ha ha ha

6. pineappleupsidedown

The only thing that I liked about the Movies of LOTR versus the books is that I always got confused in the book about the battle of minas trith (forgive my spelling). I always thought Merry and Pippin were taken to separate battles, not different fronts of the same battle. So when they met at the end of the battle, i was always left thinking "how the heck did they meet up so quickly??"

Guess I'm just bad with names, haha

---pineapple

7. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

The book is only superior to the movie in the minds of those with imagination. Imagination is the key. You could give a work like Clockwork Orange to someone, they read it and their response is "Its dull, I dont get it, it wasnt very interesting." They see the movie, and they are like, "oooh, lots of fighting, sexual themes, scenes and imagery (assuming they know those terms), I liked/loved the movie. A person has to have an imagination that functions on a certain level in order to appreciate a piece of literature. Imagination is a higher sense than just visual stimulation. Imagination requires all the senses to get a true feel and understanding of what is being read. For a movie, all you need is your eyes (and most of the time ears).

8. earthtone

earthtone New Member

When you read a book you use your imagination to visual the story in your mind. Once you have done that a film will never be as good. There are great film adaptations of books, but most are not as good as reading through the original. Some people have only seen the film of the unbearable lightness of being. The book is alot better of course!

9. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas put alot of the written images in an interesting visual interpretation of Hunter S. Thompsons book . Thats the only one where I had more conveyed (explained) by the movie than the book , as far as the atmosphere and intoxication extremes.....

10. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Yes, most definately Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. That movie is great to watch inebriated in some way, not that I would know of course. :p

11. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I got it! "Do androids dream of electric sheep/Blade Runner"

I can say without hesitation that I enjoyed the movie more than I did the book.

(okay maybe a little hesitation.....but not much)

12. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

The movies was done quite well! One of the few.

Got a though as having read through this. Ok, we are talking about movies being for people who do not want to use their imagination. But, just thinking about it... Isn`t that what books are for also (fiction books)? The only difference is that books are for people that cannot think of their own stories and movies are for people that cannot only think of their own stories, but, they also cannot picture them in their heads...... ha ha ha

13. earthtone

earthtone New Member

Yeh Fear and loathing was a superb film adaptation which was made perfect by a spot on Johnny Depp... he certainly made it for me. I really rate Terry Gilliam as a director though.

14. jedimaster

jedimaster New Member

The books are always better.

Mystic River
    All the Critcon books that were made into crappy movies (minus Jurassic Park)
    Fharentite 451
    The Godfather (so much more involving)
    Starship Troopers (only thing that saved that movie was the co-ed shower scene).
    I-Robot

However Blade Runner the movie was better than the book.

15. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

call this a cop-out but i don't think you can pit the two gainst each other.

film brings a different aspect of the story.
    as does books.

books give you detail and film gives you emotion

16. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Ooohhh - I got it! I have finally come up with a movie that was 10x as good as the book-

The Ten Commandments

...so let it be written, so let it be done.:bouncy:

17. pineappleupsidedown

LOL! good job Bleys.:up: I wasnt so sure it could be done.

18. confusedwisdom

confusedwisdom New Member

You know unless the book is absolutly aweful and they make a great movie out of it, i have to agree. Books are100x better than the movies. But then the books based on the movie is aweful too. (or maybe i'm thinking to hard on this subject?)

19. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Battlefield earth, mwhahahahahaa.
    That is seriously a joke. However, Ill take John Travolta over L Ron Hubbard any day.

20. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Yeah Jurassic park is an exception both were great.

As for as Jedi MAster said... I robot....
    you saw me crying in the movie theater. MY favorite author and one of his best works shredded to nothing....:(