Lit & The Arts Book Recommandations, Please~

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by redhare, Mar 9, 2005.

1. redhare

redhare New Member

Can anyone recommand a good book on philosophy for a beginner who has limited knowledge in philosophy related subjects? Is there any books out there thats a must read for an aspiring student? Someone please put me on a right track, thank you.

2. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick Member

My best advice is just look for one of those beginner guides to ina local book store. But i believe the best way is to search the intgernet for people to have conversations with

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Here is something I found for you

Not a book but a forum you can browse:
    http://www.whatwouldplatodo.com/symposium/forumdisplay.php?f=39

There is a book called: Philosophy for beginners by Hillaire Morris, I would try the local library to see if they have a copy of it and browse it to see if its what you like. This book was put out in reprint in 1962.

4. redhare

redhare New Member

thank you... the link you provided is really helpful and I'll look into the book you also mentioned...

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I sugest you get a book written by the Pope. Seirously. Pope John Paul II is the first pope in ages to be a philospher and writer. He has like 100 books written on philosphy a few of which Ive read a bit of and were good. Don't try and read philosphy if you don't like reading to begin with. books with plots are much different than a information book.

I was given a perty intersting book a while back that was "Pratical Philosphy" or "First hand"

It was fun to do some of them and some are really good experiments in philosphy per -se.Astonish Yourself 101 experiments in philosophy

6. 33&3rd

33&3rd Guest

The Companion by Joseph Campbell.

7. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

There are many books that aren't quite phiosophical but that will develop your thoughts. Try The Giver by Lois Lowry. Or maybe something like the Sandman Graphic Novel Series.

8. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

Check out "Sophies World" by Jostein Gaarder.

It's a wonder tale of a young girl (Sophie) who begins her philosophical education and introduces the main themes of philosphy to the pre-socratics up until around Nietzsche.

It's a wonderful book, one of my favorites.
    There's a great philosophical twist at the end...

I love that book :D

9. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I believe anything by a good writer has some philosphy in it if you look for it, or maby I'm thinking too much? But anyhoot I don't want to sound like a geek but I started reading this Star Wars book and when it got to talking about the dark side they said a bunch of really dreadfully true things. I'll try to find the title cause I kind of lost the book but when I find it I'll post the title.

10. blue

blue Premium Member

Believe it or not- everything you need to learn to begin developing your own philoshopical outlook on life you can find in HORTON HEARS A WHO. Try reading it once without thinking of it as a childrens book, see what you come up with.

11. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

:hail:Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:hail:

Not intended to be philosophical, be taught me that if the meaning of life is ever discovered by a mortal, it will change.

12. Shaione

Shaione New Member

I think I just love the "for Dummies" line of books too much. Lately, I've been leafing through 'Philosophy for Dummies', by Tom Morris, Ph.D. I think its an good start, but I haven't tried any others yet.

13. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

You can even find books like "The Philosophy of The Loard of the Rings", and from what I've read in it, it covers many basic philosophical notions, and I would assume the same for the one for The Matrix. Those would be good starters, as well.

14. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The Bible

15. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

How bout The Tao of Pooh ? Read it before I had a clue , will have to dig it out again .(clue being the operative word here)

I've been reading The Ultimat Hitchikers Guide recently and find the power source for the spaceship : "The improbability drive" to be a fact of life (mine anyway) .

16. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

I prefer to get my philosophy straight from the horse's mouth, so to say, and not filtered, edited, and critiqued as in a textbook. That said, I recommond the following for starters:

Plato, Five Dialogues (Amazon)
    St. Thomas Aquinas, Treatise on Happiness (Amazon)
    Rene Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy (Amazon)
    Soren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death (Amazon)
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra (Amazon)
    Augustine, On Free Choice of the Will (Amazon)

Note: There are many versions and translations of these books, and the ones I linked to are those that I read, which I found to be fairly well done.

Those will give you a pretty good introduction to the development of philosophical thought. Many of these are focused on Christian philosophy, but for many years religion was philosophy (in the East, at least).

Additionally, I have found the following to be interesting and amusing:

William Irwin (ed.), The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer (Amazon)
    William Irwin (ed.), The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real (Amazon)

After taking an introductory philosophy class in college, I became hooked. While I tend to disagree with many of the philosophers I've read so far, it is enlightening to observe their though processes and logic.

Hope this is helpful.