Lit & The Arts Book Club

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by junior_smith, Oct 5, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

This thread is an area where you:
    1)state the book you are reading/ read
    2)write a little blurb about it
    3) give it a rating out of 10

hopefully this cathes on

2. junior_smith

surely someone must be reading a book

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Stupid White Men by Michael Moore 1/10

A rambling rant from someone who cannot write. Very disappointing.

Money From Thin Air (the story of Craig McCraw who invented the cellphone industry) 6/10

An excellent topice, very interesting but the style of writing made the book a bit tedious when it should have been compelling. Recommended read for an amazing story though.

4. amantine

amantine Premium Member

At the moment I'm reading three books:

Either/Or by Søren Kierkegaard. Kierkegaard was a 19th century Danish philosopher and Either/Or was his first great book. It is comprised of the writings of two fictional individuals, the esthetic A. and the moral judge Vilhelm. They discuss their way of living: A. lives for the moment, for pleasure and judge Vilhelm respects the rules of his society and tries to live with a certain goal in mind. I like it so far, but I've only read the introduction, the Diapsalmata and A.'s essay on music.

To the lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Being a Joyce-fan, I decided to read another 1900-1940 author for my English class. I don't really like it so far, because I don't like her style. She uses very long sentences and lots of semicolons, but it's probably a matter of getting used to the style.

An introduction to Hume by Ayer. In the Netherlands, we have a series of introductions to all the great philosophers. There are about 35 parts and this is the 3rd I've read so far. I already read about Kierkegaard (that's why I decided to read Either/Or) and Adorno. These books are good introductions of about 150 pages.

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Well after Amantine's post, I'm feeling like I'm reading the equivalent of "The Little Engine that Could." But alas my arrogance knows no bounds so I will endeavor to carry on. :cryb:

I recently finished - Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.

The book is an examination of polygamy in the US. Krakauer interviews polygamist communities in Southern Utah/Arizona and British Columbia. His literary documentary shows the dangers of fundamentalism while showing the emerging cracks in their foundation as a result of their own isolationism.

An excellent read overall regardless of your familiarity of the subject matter. Anyone whose read Krakauer's - Into Thin Air will also enjoy this book. I give it an 8.

Currently I am reading the 9/11 commission report.

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Do you really want to know what I am reading? Ok, I am reading two books presently.

Red Hat Linux and Redora Core 2 Bible.... Over a 1000 pages of technical mush... Rating 8 of 10...

I am currently also reading about ISO 9001. Review..... Never read anything like this unless you are forced to.... :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

7. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I read alot of books this year Just finished The Scorpio Illusion by Robert Ludlum ( Because I liked The Bourne Identity , the book , movie missed too much) I'd give it a 6 . Good to pass the time , but no big whoop .

My Brain Is Open a bio on Paul Erdos and his life of travel collaborating with thousands of number theorists . 8 for the inspiration it gives to denying ignorance of all things .

The Davinci Code gets an 8 because I wanted to keep reading and finished it in 5 days . I like books that make me do that .

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene 9 for getting a reasonable explaination on string theory across to the layman . (me)

Dracula by Brahm Stoker . 8 for keeping me interested enough to figure out that wordy old english writing style . Very well written , not so surprised that the story has been told so many ways and has lasted so long ....

The COMPLETE Sherlock Holmes Collection . I found a big book at a yardsale and paid 50 cents for over 160 Sherlock tales . The stories themselves get a combined 7 because I was expecting to be given clues to solve things myself . Most had a bit of information missing which allowed Holmes to take all the credit instead of me .....

There are more that I will give a little blurb about but Sherlock just reminded me that the game is afoot , and I want to go check answers on the gamemaster thread .

8. tablet

tablet Premium Member

You're crazier than I thought!! It must be paintful reading those Red and Blue hat book. I don't understand why they don't just give you the hat, instead they give you the book about red hat. Strange indeed.

Who here read stuff online? With a computer and all the stuff you can do with it, I hardly find the time to read. Am I the only one?

9. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Got any links for complete books online Tablet ? I ususally read in bed because my eyes get tired and close and that helps bring on sleepy time , but a nice long dose of cathode ray tube radiation would help keep me up on a nite like this . ( when I am restless ) here's one ( that took me all of a minute to find ) Page By Page Books. Read Classic Books Online, Free.

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

todd, I'm into art so alot of things I read are art related. I'll let the member answer that one.

In the meantime, try this: Home - Books - NCBI

If you don't know what to search for yet. Try clicking on these
    >cell cycle >control immunodeficiency >protein evolution

I love proverbs. IF you do, have a look here:
    oneproverb.net - This website is for sale! - oneproverb Resources and Information. (requires javascript enabled)

11. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Great book link , thanks ! I am looking for my famouse quote link , you will love it . Many proverbs in Mark Twains quotes .... will post when I find it .... Off to read sokme science books now ....

12. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I hate reading technical manuals but in the past 10 years, I have only read about 20 or so books. Well, I say books as anything outside of the Computer Field.... Those I have read hundreds.... I actually have to study more now than during school...... NOT GOOD!:flame:

13. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I remember having James And The Giant Peach read to my class in third grade . I have heard this book has been banned and that it may have something to do with some "overtones" regarding the family (I'm not sure what exactly ; abuse , incest ? ) but never realized that back then , and still don't remember anything bad about the story .

Anyway , my thought was that we should write a spin off called helen and the giant kiwi ( the fruit , not the bird) > For her friends we could have a Skink , a Kakapo , a Weka , and a subantarctic Teal .

I'm just being silly of course , but these are real critters from NZ for a zoology search and a shared thought that banned books create ignorance . How can the youth of today make the descisions of tomorrow without access to literature that coveys "alternate" points of views . Big ol' witch hunt IMO .

- Deny The I -

14. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Bodyguard, by Dietz - 8/10

Welcome to a dystopian future, and one little man in it. An aging war veteran who suffered from a headwound, Max plies the only trade he knows....violence.

Great read, very quick and very well written.

Right now, I'm reading Count Zero by Gibson again and Blindness by Saramago. Both are excellent, even though I feel like a throwback from teh 80s for being an obsessive cyberpunk.

DE

15. junior_smith

don't you find distopian/utopian books such as brave new world 1984 or the giver to be very formulaic?

16. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

JS dont forget the Handmaidens Tale

17. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Depends. Some people do it really well (Gibson and Dietz, for example) and make it original. Others tend to be simple clones.

DE

18. junior_smith

I just finished 'The Alchemist' by Paul Cuelho

The Story of a boy and the dreams he follows,
    The Alchemist follows Santiago, a Spanish shepherd boy who leaves his home in search of treasure. What he discovers – about himself and life – as he travels over the continents to the alchemist is more rewarding than any object he ever dreamed of.

The real story though, is of the choices one makes in his/her life, and the lessons learned from taking chances

8.5/10
    - Really inspirational
    - lacked a bit in the end.

19. I recently read S.E. Hinton's Hawkes Harbor. It was interesting with a weird twist in the plot. As expected she nutures a young man through her writing. The plot was good but she added a rare for her supernatural twist. The end was good, wanted the book to continue longer. I give it a 9. Note: I am a big S.E. Hinton fan.:yes:

20. sab

sab Premium Member

what do you think of this work of fiction?
    You should read
    The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions And Distortions by David Ray Griffin

I have a problem with the blatant change of the laws of physics the book asserts.
    you should check out this video
    SEPTEMBER 11: Evidence to the Contrary REDUX 2006
    But the WTC 7 had to be brought down by demolition charges.
    I saw on tv that they made the decision to "pull the building"

I threw it in the fire when it mentioned that WTC building 7 was brought down by fire.

I worked for the government as a fire fighter with Chemical Biological and Radiological Hazmat cleanup and survival team, I have had many friends in the demolition field and after 9/11 we had extensive discussions about what happened, we ALL agreed that the building could not have been brought down by fire.

http://www.wtc7.net/
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/011904wtc7.html

Also it didn’t mention the put options placed on companies that were affected by the attacks before the attacks.

A September 21 story by the Israeli Herzliyya International Policy Institute for Counter terrorism, entitled "Black Tuesday: The World's Largest Insider Trading Scam?" documented the following trades connected to the September 11 attacks:

- Between September 6 and 7, the Chicago Board Options Exchange saw purchases of 4,744 put options on United Airlines, but only 396 call options. Assuming that 4,000 of the options were bought by people with advance knowledge of the imminent attacks, these "insiders" would have profited by almost $5 million.

- On September 10, 4,516 put options on American Airlines were bought on the Chicago exchange, compared to only 748 calls. Again, there was no news at that point to justify this imbalance; Again, assuming that 4,000 of these options trades represent "insiders", they would represent a gain of about $4 million.

- [The levels of put options purchased above were more than six times higher than normal.]

- No similar trading in other airlines occurred on the Chicago exchange in the days immediately preceding Black Tuesday.
    - Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co., which occupied 22 floors of the World Trade Center, saw 2,157 of its October $45 put options bought in the three trading days before Black Tuesday; this compares to an average of 27 contracts per day before September 6. Morgan Stanley's share price fell from $48.90 to $42.50 in the aftermath of the attacks. Assuming that 2,000 of these options contracts were bought based upon knowledge of the approaching attacks, their purchasers could have profited by at least $1.2 million.

- Merrill Lynch & Co., which occupied 22 floors of the World Trade Center, saw 12,215 October $45 put options bought in the four trading days before the attacks; the previous average volume in those shares had been 252 contracts per day [a 1200% increase!]. When trading resumed, Merrill's shares fell from $46.88 to $41.50; assuming that 11,000 option contracts were bought by "insiders", their profit would have been about $5.5 million.

- European regulators are examining trades in Germany's Munich Re, Switzerland's Swiss Re, and AXA of France, all major reinsurers with exposure to the Black Tuesday disaster. [FTW Note: AXA also owns more than 25% of American Airlines stock making the attacks a "double whammy" for them.]
    On September 29, 2001 - in a vital story that has gone unnoticed by the major media - the San Francisco Chronicle reported, "Investors have yet to collect more than $2.5 million in profits they made trading options in the stock of United Airlines before the Sept. 11, terrorist attacks, according to a source familiar with the trades and market data".

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/HEN204B.html
    http://www.nationalreview.com/rose/rose200407260700.asp
    http://911review.org/Wiki/InsiderTrading.shtml
    http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/illegaltrades.html
    http://www.rense.com/general17/wtcmon.htm
    http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/12_06_01_death_profits_pt1.html