Puzzles & Games bonus questions for the game

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by junior_smith, Sep 16, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

its not fair to have the bonus questions cause some people arent on when the bonus questions are announced.

although it is good to have them, the way they are adminastered right now is unfair

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah, the problem is precisely like you mentioned. They are something that we need, but we cannot make it a fair way. So, each day, we try to do it at different times. This way it is more a suprise, yet also it will spread it out to be in different time zones as well. This would leave different people out at different times. Hopefully, it would equal out to be fair for everyone.

The only other option would be to not have them at all. If you would come up with something fair for everyone, then it would be great to share with us. :)

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I really dont know how you could solve the problem. Same thing happened in the find the ring contest. I'd go to school, and when i came back there would already have been another clue given and solved.

---pineapple

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

happened to me a lot there at the end, all the clues came while I was asleep UK vs. Mtn Time. When you have a board with visitors from around the world it is hard to not biase a particular time zone, Im really sorry if it happens to anyone, I want all countries to be welcome on ID.

5. JcMinJapan

Well, being in Japan, it happened alot as well. My time was completely opposite. The only thing we can offer is to only give one question per day. Or, we can suffle them like we do now.

It can be your choice. Please vote.

We will tally this and will make the decision before the start of the next round.

[Edited on 17-9-2004 by JcMinJapan]

6. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

is it possible to make it like a money system sort of . so you can have an amount of guesses, yes gueses dont count, but no guesses take away a credit from you. and answering bonus questions gives you a credit.

also we should have the bonus question up for a day and you are only allowed ne guess at it and it wirtten in such a way that once you guess it takes you to another screen where it either gives you a crdit or says 'better luck next time'

7. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Best thing to do:

(Offhand idea here: Have a 24/48 hour signup for each round, people have to actually say they are in playing the game, keep that list for whatever purposes, lots of ideas there)

Keep it the same way, one question per person per day, like the yes/no and with a yes answer be able to ask again. But, for the bonus question, post one at the start of the game, and each time it is solved, have another one ready. Each person can answer the questions until they win a bonus question. They cannot get/answer another bonus question until everyone else on the list has answered one. This keeps everyone on a level playing field, yet still allows the prosperity of bonus. Perhaps the questions posted on the first day are worth one extra bonus question, the second day worth two, etc etc.

Also, you could have it so that everyone gets one question per day, and if on a yes answer, they get one more question only, no matter if its a yes or no. The bonus is like what I stated above, except that anyone can answer at any time, building up their own purse of questions.

Just some thoughts, but I do think there needs to be a little tweaking. Personally, keeping everyone on the same playing field whether they are online or not is a good idea, as it will encourage more people to play who may be weary about how much online time they dedicate. If its their turn to answer a bonus and they are sleeping or gone for a day, no added bonuses for anyone until he/she returns. This makes the game interesting, like you sort of have to work together, be active, etc, yet later on can be used as strategy to win. :)

My $0.02

8. JcMinJapan

Well, it does sound like a good idea, except for one thing.

If we did it in order, that would cause a problem as no one would want to win the first days (if they had to be used that day) or they will only save them till the end. Which would pretty much kill the moving the game forward idea. We did it to try to get it moved a little more forward each day. Also, a fun way to have competitive contests.

Now, we will not be able to make everyone happy. I am thinking now of no more bonus questions as there seems to be no way to make it fair for everyone. Personally, I like the use it or lose it with the bonus questions. The only fair way I can see to do it would be to give a bonus question to everyone. But, then that defeats the challenge of figuring it out. Anyways, I think most everyone in the game this time has won one. But, it is your call. So, for now, do not expect bonus questions until we can figure something else out.

For the next round:

We will probably be getting rid of the NOT questions.

We thought about getting rid of the questions until you get a No answer. But, It is good to reward good guesses.

9. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Ok, for the bonus questions, just make it like this:

When the game starts, you get your 1 per 24 hour period question as usual. As well, a bonus problem appears. Any player may solve it and recieve a bonus question that is exactly like a 24 hour period question, meaning if he gets a yes he can continue. However, you may only answer one bonus problem per day. Once a bonus problem is won, a new one takes its place. Thus, it is fair for everyone, everyone gets a shot at earning a bonus question from a problem solved, yet they can not overdo it.

10. pineappleupsidedown

Yes, I wasnt really thinking when I did that list of "NOT" questions. Even if i had the opportunity I would not do it again. I'm sorry.

I think everyone should be allowed 2 or 3 questions regardless, IE (is it in africa? YES is it in Norther Africa? NO is it Joburg? YES. now you are out of questions)

Maybe mulitple bonuses a day would help, only letting one bonus per person per day.

I vote against selective bonuses, as what if a persons computer explodes and it takes them two weeks to get it back online? To keep that from happening, you would have to assign everyone their own problem at the beginning, which leaves out anyone who joins the game. Also its impossible to make all the questions exactly equal in difficulty.

Again, sorry for any problems i might have caused.

---pineapple

11. JcMinJapan

No problems at all. ;) This is a growing game and this is our first round. I figure for the first few rounds, we will hit most options and can come up with some definate rules. We have just started and everything will be ironed out. ;)
    Keep the suggestions coming, they are great.!

12. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

I think there should be no bonus questions. Also you should not get another question if you get yes as an answer. This makes it so you have to choose wisely when asking a question because you only get per day. I also think the clues are not a good idea. The whole idea of this game is to challenge us. Giving us clues makes it less of a chalenge. This is just my thoughts on the game.

13. JcMinJapan

You have some good points. My thoughts are to keep the next question if you get one. this is encourage people to post a question if they think they are on the right track and not just wait till they notice everyone else have posted.... But,(for this round it is ok as we have let others use it) getting rid of the NOT questions will be essential. This will make it much more difficult. At first we thought WOW, great idea to ask like that, but it has made it too easy... ha ha We learned a good lesson. :)

I am thinking you are right about the bonus questions as well as the hints. The bonus questions, were put into place to allow the game to move further along especially since we have only about 7 or 8 of you playing. If we have alot more members playing, this will make it more interesting and the bonus questions will not be needed. So, maybe we can try the next round without them. (that will be up to ZSAN) The hints did make it a bit too easy. Personally, I say can the idea also. Again, up to Zsan for the next round.

ZSan will be moderating the next round as he already has his idea in place.

14. pineappleupsidedown

I think we should not have hints, but still have the bonus problems, especially if you only get one question per day regardless of the answer.

btw:
    what do you mean by that JC? I guess my brain isnt thinking right or something, but i dont understand.

---pineapple

15. JcMinJapan

That is the next puzzle... ha ha ha If you figure it out, you get a bonus question!!!!

NOTE::::: Just joking... ;)

16. pineappleupsidedown

I think games should start at 12:00 GMT regardless of when the previous round ended. I believe the rest of the site is slightly neglected since the games started, so it would give everyone a chance to breathe can catch up on whats going on outside of this section.

---pineapple

17. tablet

tablet Premium Member

How about this. Each member have 3 questions per day regardless of the YES or NO answer.
    and 2 NOT questions, which gives a member a total of 5 questions and this DEPENDS on the context
    of the puzzle.

For example, your current game is to find the YEAR, LOCATION and ITEM. Therefore, each member should
    have 3 guesses and 2 NOT question.

If we were to apply this rule to the first round, it would be 2 guesses per day because the objective
    of that round was to find the LOCATION and the ITEM only. Plus 2 NOT questions which makes a total of
    4 per day.

IF we use the above rule then BONUS and HINT should not be implemented. It should be drop and leave
    out because the 2 NOT is a built-in bonus.

Now to balance things out and make it fair, each member can save their 1 NOT question and use it
    at the end. They cannot carry the 2 NOT with them to the end, ONLY ONE. If they didn't use the other
    NOT, then too bad for them. They will lose it.

It's important that each player have one NOT question with them near the end because well... how do
    I explain this... hmmm where did I put my dictionary...

the 2 NOT is a life saver. It can be use any time. It can be save for the end, but only ONE can be
    use at the end.

Right now I'm thinking about the time... when I first participated I thought that if I post a question
    right now, then I have to wait for the NEXT DAY (my time, not helenHeaven's time) inorder to ask again.

I was surprise that I can ask my first two questions, then 6 more on just 1 day. Because the time
    was based on "Day X Begins." not my 24hour spin. Time is an issue, we can't really solve this, but
    we can accomodate it with early warning.

For example, you people know the date and time of round #2 begin. I didn't... and that is not fair!
    (whwhwwh, I want my mommy!)

there should be a notice 2 DAYS BEFORE the next round begin. That way, it give people or shall I
    say ALL people a chance to know WHEN the next round begin so they can prepare themselve!!

The problem now is HOW DO WE KNOW WHEN THE END IS? So that we can use our bonus NOT question. The end
    is when you STATE that this is your final post and you're going to guess or GIVE the answer. Is it
    here that you can use your NOT.

If you failed, which mean you give or guess wrong, then you're out of the game! But don't worry, you
    can borrow my tank and drive around the city while you're out of the game.

-----------------For example:

This is my end, I will use my available NOT and after that I will give/guess the answer.

question 1: is the sky blue?

bonus: Is this NOT a x?

question 2: is the sky blue?

conclusion: I believe that this is... so and so...

-----------------------------

the end should have a total of 3 questions (including the NOT) reglardless of the YES or NO. I think
    this is fair because you either DIE or LIVE on your END.

Then get ready to borrow my Tank.

And if everyone die and the objective haven't reach, then the mod can RESET the game and do it the
    second time. The reset is not necessarily when you have over 100 players participating. With a 100
    player I'm sure it will be solve in no time.

OR instead of killing the player, you can suspend him/her for 3 days. After 3 days he can start all
    over. But on his second try, there is no more BONUS NOT! and he only have 1 question per day!

The reason why player should have more than 2 questions regardless of YES or NO is this:
    I can just post my questions and head for launch. Instead of waiting to see if the answer is a "YES"
    before I continue my next question.

It will be much better if I can post all my question and head for lunch. And come back later. Don't
    you think? That way people can really think of better question, rather than thinking on their feet!

Fear free to expand upon this...

[Edited on 18-9-2004 by tablet]

18. ilovepizza

I like the idea of just 20 questions total for each member. You can use them all on the first day or spread them out. If you do not solve it in 20 questions or less you are out of that round. No bonus questions no hints. Just 20 questions that can be asked any way. In order to win you have to use one question to ask if it is what you think it is. If you get a yes answer you win. However you cannot win if you ask "It is not dogs?" if you get a no answer and that was your last question you are out for the round. You can only win with a yes answer not a no answer.

19. tablet

tablet Premium Member

what if I wait for everyone to finish their 20 questions?

and if everyone use up 20 post and the puzzle is unsolve... then there got to be a way to reset.

You win not with a NO or a YES. ... You win with a CONCLUSION. Through out the game you gather
    premises. You then form a conclusion based on those premises that you gathered. I don't know... maybe
    I'm just crazy.

[Edited on 18-9-2004 by tablet]

20. ilovepizza

If you wait for everyone to finish their 20 questions the round may be over. If no one wins it restarts.