Chit Chat Bicyclists: People Staying In Shape Or The Curse Of The Highway?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Seth Bullock, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Yesterday, I needed to run to Target to pick up a couple of things ( I can’t quite bring myself to go to Wal-Mart, but we will save that for another post.). Now, the road to Target from my house is a winding two lane that is fun to drive. But alas, just as I started down the road, there he was.

Dressed in his cute little spandex clothes, with his swoosh like helmet and wrap around sunglasses. Peddling away with all his might at an amazing 18 miles per hour! Right down the center of my lane! Oh yes, the mighty bicyclist. Impervious to anyone else’s inconvenience. Unaware that all that is keeping him from a gruesome death is my barely controlled temper. I can’t begin to tell you how much I “enjoyed” watching his spandex clad buttocks as I putted down the road in second gear. The little voice in my head telling me “Just touch his back tire with your bumper! Just enough to let him know who is boss.”

It amazed me the disregard he showed me and my 2000-pound steel and rubber conveyance. He is king of the road at 18 miles per hour! He couldn’t war a coat over his sleek spandex outfit, even though it was like one degree outside. Yes, king of the road! And do you know why? Because he was getting some exercise!

Getting some exercise. What this is really all about isn’t it. In this day and age that trumps everything doesn’t it? If it is in the name of good health, everyone else look out.

Okay. I have said my piece. Now my question to you, good people at Ignorance denied is this: Who is right and who is wrong? Should a bicyclist be allowed to lead a train of 13 cars down the road? Or should motorists start taking back the road? And is exercise a good enough excuse to inconvenience people in this way? Where does the ignorance lie?

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Its a duality Seth. I personally feel if you dont have a motor, you dont belong on the road. In areas of heavy bike traffic the highway dept. should construct bike paths. At the very least the biker should have signaled and flagged you past as a tractor or other slow vehicle will often do. It is very wrong for him, even though he has the right of way, to hold up traffic, its called gridlocking. As for you, you have to yield to the biker, even if they are being a #@!&%. I too wish sometimes to 'clip' them with my rear views. And lastly as for the outfit, that thing is very warm actually do to its direct contact with the skin.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

It is illegal to have over a certain amount of cars following you at any one time i think. And when a bike is riding on the street, it is subject to the laws of the road i think.

He definatly should not have been doing that.

---pineapple

4. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Common Cycling Etiquette dictates:
    Be Respectful of Traffic
    Avoid vehicular traffic by riding on the right side of the line separating the road from its shoulder.

Z's right. He should have waved you past, Seth.

5. Seth Bullock

look, if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't care so much. But it happens all the time! Sometimes there are like 30 of them all together. And they always act like that.

What we need is a "hunting season". Maybe July and August. during that time nay bicyclist that gets in your way -- run em down. Now, you will say they just won't ride during those months. WRONG! They won't be able to resist. The lure of the spandex and the thought of the power they wield on the road will be too much.

Yes, that is what drives these evil people. The power they wield on the road is what drives them. It is all about putting the fat old car drivers in their place! If it was truly about exercise they would use one of these:

1.jpg

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

What i hate....

When they ride on the left side of you!

You dont even know to look for them, and then BAM! there they are in your face. Scares the **** outta me.

---pineapple

7. black hawk

black hawk Premium Member

Definatley motorists should rule the world!

8. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I agree with Seth.

The glare off the spandex can be blinding.

It's just not a sensible way to get from A to B :)

9. Juanita

Juanita Member

lmao @ spandex glare!

I agree about the bicyclists on the road and how they act - they know that if you hit them you're in deep sh*t.

Although I haven't been to many places, one that I had been to was considered one of the healthiest cities in America and they had bike 'roads' all along the regular roads.

With that in mind, it shows the lack of a nation to pursue physical fitness. But that is just one of the many issues regarding our health.

Same goes for sidewalks, granted they are provided - Ever been walking/jogging and have to stop or get the 'hay' out of the way when a bicyclist comes thru at 18mph? Then you're left cussing them out about being on the road instead of the sidewalk!

10. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

You bike-a-phobs!

What is the real problem here?

The cyclist or your 14ft SUV polluting the air like a Union Carbide factory?

Or maybe is it that you find it difficult to drive while drinking your large iced cappacino, while talking on your cel and adjusting your playlist on your 40 disk CD changer - meanwhile your unrestrained children are jumping up and down in the backseat, licking the windows and are a rolling advertisement for the need for birth control?

Yeah right, it's the cyclist that is the problem.

B. - speaking on behalf of Devils Advocates Everywhere.

11. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

OMG Bleys just had a meltdown. Hahahahahah. Actually I was similarly suggesting previously that it wa sa duality between the #@!&% biker and impatient drivers. I am myself, one of those people who get up behind bikers in my "14ft SUV polluting the air like a Union Carbide factory" :) Jeep Grand Cherokee! MOPAR yee haa.

12. Seth Bullock

Yeah, right Bleys. This from a woman that drives a Ford Expedition and changes the radio channel 20 times per mile.

The roads were built for cars. CARS! If a bicyclist want the feeling of the open road, the Harley shop is just arond to corner. If he needs the exercise, he should ride around the block 1200 times and only annoy his neighbors. But they should stay off any road with a speed limit they cannot maintain!

13. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I wish i would have gotten to this thread eariler. I myself do exactly what your byciclist feind has done. I refuse to drive where i need to go. I ride my road bike. In drivers ED i payed attention to the laws for bicylist. I learnd that by law a bicyclist and a car have equal right to the road. He has just as much right to stay in the middle of the road as you do. Now what I do when i have to ride in a bussy area is I ride to teh side of the road in the service lane. If there is no service lane, like its a country road, i stay as far right as possible and if there is no chance for the car to pass me on the left i will pull over. personally it sounds like this guy was being an a** about it. Sure you have the law on your side but the law doenst do you mush help when your dead! So thats why I always give a car the right away.

BTW 18mph constant isnt that bad for cruising. I go at about 20moh cruiseing! gets me almost anywhere i need to get in 30 min or less. :p

14. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:pbjtime:

This thread cracked me up. Seth and his righteous indignation, Helen's Mr. Blackwell list and Z the voice of reason.

any other takers.

Bleys

15. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I run , but don't cycle. I want to roller blade , but my wife and kids say: No!

16. Kalibur

Kalibur Premium Member

Running : )

It seems the bicyclist should of moved over to let you pass. Did you try honking?

Bodebliss,
    I run too -- running is great. In fact it's better than bicycling, if you take my meaning.

Fella's the preassure of the seat against our sacred area hinders sexual performance! Run... don't cycle!

17. TheWidowGarret

TheWidowGarret Premium Member

I drive the same road almost every day, just do what I do... Drive up next to them really fast and swerve like you're about to ram them, they get over pretty quick in my experience! :up:

18. xu

xu Premium Member

:mad: I know your kind...

as clear as a 1 meter truck wheel 40cm from my face passin at 80 km/H. :dn:

even if I cycle around 45 km/h at the side, they just get past the right edge of the road where I am, to satisfy themselves. and this is not one case. this is a general behaviour. as I see here also. I really have a strong desire to bindd such people to a bycyle and roll them down from a 30 degree sloped highway without the brake clippings, if they ever get off their trucks that is.

and spandex pfff no way.

19. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I just realize that certain people should never EVER wear spandex !

If only lifes lessons could all be so obvious.....

20. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Was just reading thru some facts...

The most dangerous form of transportation is the bicycle.

The safest form of transport is the lift.

Since the first fatal car crash, about a 100 years ago, 25 million people have died in car accidents.

Thats a lot of people, was very surprised to read that.