Human Biology Atkins Diet Has Long-Term Dangers, Researchers Warn

Discussion in 'Human Biology' started by Cinderloft, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/story.jsp?story=557740

Once again, a new fad is allowed to grow and run rampant without sufficient medical and scientific scrutiny. I wonder how many people will have to pay the health consequences in the future for these risky fad diets. Get out and excercise! *Looks down and realizes he should heed his own advice*

C.

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Yes but...

I am a success story for atkins, my father got diabetes and I was having pain in my joints, Im 22, so I went to the doctor and had some tests run, I had 1% prediabetic cells in my blood and psoriatic arthritis (IM 22!) so I said to myself, John you have got to lose some weight. I was at 280 lbs when I got my BS from the University of Alabama. I picked up an Atkins book and read it cover to cover. I started a week before Thankgiving, my thought was if I could survive this diet through the Holidays I could survive long term. Well long story short, I DID IT! I watched my carbs, ate lots of veggies, and not all meat like everyone thinks. I am still on Atkins todays, almost one year later. I have reached my goal wait, and NOW I CAN exercise, thats what everyone tells you to do, but when you weigh 280 you cant do it. I ride my bike 2-5 miles a day, job, etc. I have added carbs back slowly to find my metabolism level like the book suggests. It is a misconception that you dont ever eat carbs. THe ones that will hurt themselves are those that dont read how to do it correctly. So are you ready for the results?

Before: November 2003
    280 lbs
    x-large shirt
    40 in inseam = waist

Now: September 2004
    175 lbs
    medium shirt
    34 in inseam = waist

It may be a fad diet, my advice: dont get suckered by all those "Low carb" cookies and chips and junk on the market, eat meat and veggies. As soon as you lose enough weight, start exercising.

GOOD LUCK!

Ill try to post some picture if anyone is interested.

3. Cinderloft

Z, I am impressed. I have been weighing the positives and negatives about this diet for a while, but just could not comprehend how it could be good for a person. Do you feel good now? Have you been checked out by a doctor? I would like to know more about your quest. I am about 245, 5'10. I want to lose about 50-60 lbs, and put a little more on in muscle. My GF has been thinking of it, as she has a lot of weight she wants to drop. Personally, I am afraid of it, but now knowing someone who was on it, well, I dont know. I will just have to give it more thought I guess. Congrats btw.

C.

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I feal better than I ever have, I ride my bike and jog daily.

THe key to staying safe is to eat lots of protein and once you get close to goal weight ADD back carbs until the weight loss stops, this is your metabolism level. Its what your body can process, its different for everyone, but for heavens sake dont keep cutting carbs completely out.

I have seen a doctor, my cholesterol and blood pressure are down to normal, my blood sugar has stabalized -->Splenda is key.

My only health preblem is psoriatic arthritis and this was known before I started the diet. Its genetic and my dad has it. But actually since losing weight it has all but gone away everywhere but my right knee. So I am very satisfied.

READ about the low carb diet before you do it, dont just stop eating carbs, this is a serious diet change and if you do it wrong you can really hurt yourself. Read ATkins book or another one and you will be fine.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    Exercise
    Take a multivitamin with calcium
    Use Splenda or Sweet and low not Equal

Z Out

5. Cinderloft

I have been looking over some atkins information directly from their website. I already take multivitamins, have started using a treadmill daily, as well as drinking a lot of water throughout the day. I am slowly but surely trying to adjust my habits, that way I may actually be able to change them for the good and keep them. As for artificial sweeteners, I shall stay away from them completely, until science can actually tell me a few things about them.

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Splenda is not an artificial sweetner, it is the sugar molecule spun opposite that of sucrose thus sucralose. It does not affect your blood sugar but tastes the same.

7. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I eat high protein meals and try to stay away from carbs... But I LOVE pasta. So, I work out extra hard on those days.... ha ha ha

The big thing about anything is not start a DIET. A diet implies that you will stop. If people go in that mindset, then they will usually gain it all back within a short amount of time. You must make it a life style. Now, of course, I would not recommend Atkins as a lifestyle. But, ZSan has a great method. They key to any plan is to make a habit out of it and make it your lifestyle and not short lived. Also, Exercise is the key. All these little machines and pills will not work. The key is Exercise. If you went on Atkins and did not exercise, I would say that it would be unhealthy.

I used to work out allot when I was young, then I got busy with work and did not exercise for about 4 years. I was weighing 110 Kg with 38% body fat 1.5 years ago. I really did not think about the weight at all. I could not walk up stairs or hills without being out of breath. Then one day, we were watching Sumo and some of my good friends made a comment... Wow, Jon is a mini Sumo wrestler. We all used to goof around and tease each other allot, so it was no big deal. But, it did get me thinking about how tired I always was and how my health and general outlook was down. So, the next week a perfect situation happened. There were three girls and one guy that made a bet to see who could lose 10 Kg in one month. Well, they asked if I wanted to join and I took them up on it. Now, I am not the type to lose a bet. I took it on will full steam ahead. I used the Atkins Diet and started a daily exercise routine. Now, the first two weeks were the hardest. The craving for sweets and other foods was huge. Also, at the same time, I was seriously working out, so my muscles were in terrible pain. But, i rested allot and worked through the pain. Needless to say, I won the bet and a HUGE steak dinner at a great place. But, I did not stop there. I kept it up for the last 2 years. I allow myself a sweets about 2 times a week and have one day a week to eat ANYTHING I want. I can workout and take my muscles to failure and no pain. After the first two weeks, you body is very used to it. Well, I am down to 88 Kg and the body percent is down to 16%. I am working to get it around 10%.

For myself, I run 4 km 6 days a week, then head to the gym to life weights and workout 5 days a week.

I have started my daughter on exercise also. She is 6 and I have her run 4km 5 days a week with me then sprints, then jumping practice. She does ice skating 5 days a week and swims 1 day a week. She will be changing from swimming to ballet/jazz dance next month. I am trying to bring her up to make exercise part of her life and not a routine. I studied personal training for kids to ensure that I do not harm her growing body and actually helping her.

I would suggest studying the proper way to eat and the proper way to do the exercises. Anyone can lift weights, stretch, run etc. But, knowing the hazards, things to look out for, and the proper way of doing them will lead to a smart plan for losing.

Just my thoughts on this....

8. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Be careful JC with your daughter, when you are that young some things can hurt you or stunt your growth that would otherwise not affect older people. In no way am i implying you dont know whats best, just make sure you know your facts.

About the Adkins diet, my friend had a good results as well, but in a different manner. She stayed with the diet fairly strictly, and slowly brought back the carbs like you are supposed to. Then she quit altogether (couldnt stay away from the pasta, haha). But she is still maintaining weight.

You know why? Her body got used to not having soda, candy, chocolate, or any of those other anti-adkins foods. So she doesnt eat them anymore, not because she cant, but because she has no desire to. now I'd say that a summer diet that can make you not want junk food is a diet worth doing.

Yes scientists say its bad long term, but i assume they (i havent read the article-link broken- so dont yell at me) are looking at mice who are given absolutly no carbs(which is not what the diet tells you to do) dieing faster than ones that have carbs.

---pineapple

9. JcMinJapan

Right about kids exercises. You must be very careful on the plans and regiments that you give them. Like I said, I actually studied to be a personal fitness trainer for kids. :D Kids are very special in their development. She is only 6 and only loves ice skating, there is no place that she would rather be. She even turned down DisneyLand due to wanting to go skating... ha ha ha... But, we have to force her to stay away, so she can rest and recover.

True, once the desire goes away, it is very easy to say no. Pasta for me is like a smoking habit for smokers. I cannot give it up... ha ha ha

10. Cinderloft

I am really having trouble getting away from the junk food. I have been faithfull in the working out, been doing my treadmill cardio in the fitness room in our apartment building daily, but I gotta stop the junk crap. Its hard. I like to munch. Sodas no problem, gave them up a year ago after reading about the negative effects they have on different areas of the body. I just need willpower. I gotta stand up to my brain and start telling it what to do.

11. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

you've only been doing this a week, Give it time, and it gets easier (or you get lazier...just make sure that doesnt happen)

---pineapple

12. JcMinJapan

I drink about a gallon a day... ha ha ha I do not know why, but I just love water. So refreshing. I drink about 1/2 can of coke a month, but it just gets too sweet for me. I guess it is from being over here. Japanese cakes etc are not really that sweet compared to American ones.

Splenda? Never heard of it. Hmm, may have to try it if I can find it. I usually use only honey to sweeten my food. May not be the best, but I do love it... There is nothing like honey, cinnamon, and hot apple crisp.... wa hoo;)

13. DontTreadOnMe

DontTreadOnMe Member

Cinder, junk food is almost always high carab. I hate to say this, but you are probably addicted to the junk.
    I am no expert, but I do know that carbs affect your blood sugar differently than other foods. Perhaps this is why you crave them, or cannot give them up.

I think all the atkins nay-sayers do not understand the low carb lifestyle. (DUH, like Clinton saying he does South Beach, which is a low carb vs. a NO carb diet.)
    There is no such thing as a NO carb diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have successfuly lived the low carb lifestyle since March 2003. I have lost about 30 pounds, and lots of inches. And lots of bloat. I am in much better health and have more energy.
    The thing about LC is to eliminate almost all of the bad carbs from your diet: white rice, white potatoes, white bread, white sugar. Moderation is the key. Lots of veggies...good fats, such as olive oil and butter. I do watch my caloric intake, a little. Lots of water.
    Avoiding processed foods is very important. Obviously, all the "low carb" foods arriving in stores and fast food placaes is not as good for you as eating real, whole, unprocessed foods.

14. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

I have been on this modify form of this diet for 2 years allready and it has work for me.

Like others has said before me, moderation is the key, stay away from sugars and starches and it should work even in a low midify use of the diet guidelines.;)

15. DontTreadOnMe

DontTreadOnMe Member

Hey, Marg, welcome to ID:up:

When you started this way of eating, did you eat differently than yo do now?
    By that I mean, high protein and fat, few carbs? I noticed that after the initial round of weight loss, say the first 6-8 months, I had to cut back on fat. Less cheese, heavy cream, lower fat mayo, etc. Did you find this also?
    BTW, I remeber the picture you posted in ATS awhile back--you look fabulous :)

16. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I did, once I got my weight down to my goal weight, I added back good carbs and reduced my fat intake.

17. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

Well thanks, actually I have to cut on the fats too after a while and occurs I do a lot of exercises, specially now that I am at home.

I will never go back to the full carbo eating again but I also keep the fats strickly in the good side, I only cook with olive oil.

And I use spray butter to season vegetables, I love fresh spinach salad with broil chicken.

I do not eat a lot of red meat, mostly chicken, and only dr atkins low carbo wheat bread.:up: only one slice a day.;)

18. black hawk

black hawk Premium Member

Thats not good. There is alot of people using the atkins. but we all make mistakes.

19. DontTreadOnMe

DontTreadOnMe Member

Hey, black hawk, care to elaborate here? Please enlighten us.
    What's not good?
    What mistake is being made?

20. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Atkins is HORRRIBLE for you. Mentally as well as physcially. Your body isn't meant to run without carbs, so that messes up your internal chemistry. On the backswing, at the same time, lack of carbs has been linked to depression The reason is works is because you're too depressed to eat. ;)

DE