Metaphysics Are You Religious?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by tablet, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. Just curious.

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Nope, Atheist.

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Combining Relativity and Quantum Theory. Hoping to find an answer to the big question. But I wonder, what if we found the answer to superstring and yet another problem is created for us to solve...

It seems like the more we discover and know, the more there is to know. And when the times come, everything collapsed. All the beautiful things on earth and history get destroyed and vanished.

What are those string made out of?

[Edited on 17-11-2004 by tablet]

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I am christian, non-denominational. I believe i have an open mind though.

---pineapple

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

actually im hoping to go to a university/ seminary to becoem a catholic preist and then go to work for the vatican as a physist or astronomer uh yea that sums up alot

6. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

the string is energy, but to believe in string theory you have to except not 4 dimensions not four dimensions but 11

7. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I was raised Catholic, and while I will always have a lot of respect for the church, I've been in a state of questioning about a lot of things over the last year...but I'm doing my best to keep an open mind.

8. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Nope. Uh-uh. Not me. No way. Religion ugh. Count me out. Forget it. Find your own way in the world folks. Nobody else wil do it for you. (the preceeding is just my opinion, no offense intended)

9. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I had no idea Mizar - how did you make this decision? I'm fascinated by those who choose this path?:up:

10. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Believe it or not, but I went to Catholic Seminary for about 1 year in High School. I could not do it as I could not see myself living without women for the rest of my life.... :lol: Funny maybe... but true.

Religous... in some sense yes, but some sense no. I do not think that this is a Black and White question, so I would have to give yes/no answer. Depends on how deep you want to take this and in what areas. :)

11. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Seth Bullock
    Administrative Gunslinger

13.jpg

An anagram for Seth Bullock is Shock Bullet. Which fits with Gunslinger.

I'm not religious, but I think God is behind what I just posted. :lol: amazing or what?

12. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

i was brought up as a catholic and call it coiendince but i turned away from God at about 12 years of age and kinda turned to a satanistic way of life. well things were ok like that b ut i started having lots of problems so i eventually left it all behind and came bact to teh church its an intresting story it just has alot of personal stuff in it i would rather not share. but any way so when i came back my life improved drastically. ive lived my life in a good catholic manner ever sence and ive been bay far one of the happiest people at my school and home. i enjoy it. and for me it really isnt a matter of is there a god or isnt there. i was brought up this way thinking this so its naturaly how i think. but im doing good work and not hurting anyone in the process what more could be asked for? i know i will be happy withmyself and my life by going to become a preist and spending my life doing that kind of work and hopefully working for the vatican as a astronomer.

its like that eppsoied of south park with the mormons. haw in the last secne the kid came up to the boys and gave that speach im trying to say that basically.

life for me is the prusit of happiness and this is the route that i see will give ME the most happiness.
    :up:

13. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Way to go MIZAR!

I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up!

14. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

I'm planing to become a a buddhist, but i think buddhism is becoming a bit of a taboo, because it is seemed as the religion of choice for self indulgent people and celebrities, it just makes sense to me and gives me peace.

i'm not here to hate but did you know that scientologists (like tom cruise) hate the mentally ill and handicapped, i did the scientology test to see if i could become a scientologist, hahah the answer was no, they rejected me.

15. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Hmmm. Shock Bullet. I kinda like that. Like when Homer changed his name to Max Power.

16. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Good Call !!! Scary cult ! Did you take one of those "clear tests" on the electronic gizmo that basicaly measures skin conductivity , and did you part with any ca$h ?

Mizar !!! Cool ! I don't know if you were aware of Georges Le Matrie , he was a belgian mathemetitian / astronomer / priest for the vatican and came up with the "primordial egg " description for the church that scientists call the big bang .

Einstein even called it the most elegant description he had ever heard .

The result was that the vatican does not deny science as it has historicaly because there is a "moment of creation " that cannot be scientificaly explained .

Keep up the faith on both ends for us !

17. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I'm religous. I'm Christian, baptist.

18. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Religous? One does not have to be religious in order to believe in a higher power. Just as one does not have to believe in your version of god to believe in A version of god.

Myself? Religious..No! Spiritual...No, but that is only because I do not believe in using supernatural forces to explain the unknown. The concept of a 'god/force like thing' can exist through science, logic and reasoning. It is just not something that needs to be bowed before but instead understood for what it really is.

19. red cell

red cell New Member

I'm not religous I'm just spiritual I beleive in god and the bible but don't beleive in living your faith by stupid rituals. I beleive that god wants to have a personal relationship with you not just a series of rituals you do.

20. black hawk

black hawk Premium Member

am i religious, ovcourse.. i would say that evrey one is religious....