Archiving

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by Icewolf, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Since ID is getting so big, wouldn't it be an Idea to start archiving our knowledge into something easier to search through.

Also with someone like an ID librarian people could ask them questions and they could double check if we have information on the subject or not.

This feature would be really useful in my opinion, but just wanted to know what the rest of ID think.

- Ice -

[Edited on 13-3-2005 by Icewolf]

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

That is exactly the project I am hoping to start icewolf, I need some time though to build the infrastructure though, so bare with me.

Z

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Try using the search feature to look for old threads

---Pineapple

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

If I were to build a "Library" where there was an A-Z index with a search feature and a manuel tab through would anyone be interested in being the "Librarian" It would be a lot of work, work that I unfortunately dont have time for right now and would involve a lot of transcription from posts here on ID and searching through all the links referenced in the posts. I would of course set up the infrastructure.

This system is something I see ID needing within 1-2 years if you consider a linear growth rate, but as we all know as the members grow, friends will invite friends, etc so growth is more likely to be exponential. I like search features dont get me wrong but a forum topic can get really long and if you have to wade through links and chat, etc it can take a while to find the useful info you were looking for. In essence the "Library" would be an interactive encyclopedia of everythigng we have talked about on ID including commentary and opinions as well as facts. At the end of each listing would be a list of all the threads on the topic as well as off site references.

Qualifications needed for "Librarian"

-Time
    -Time
    -Time
    -Patience
    -Good grammar and text editting skills
    -Html, XMB, Java, JavaScript, as well as other programming languages would be great.
    -Oh yeah, Time!

Z

[Edited on 14-3-05 by Zsandmann]

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This is definately a top job. Whoever can handle it good luck and I wish you the best.

6. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

That...sounds like me.

Java most likely wouldnt be a very good solution...HTML and PHP would be the best ways.

7. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

It wouldn't even need to be one person to be the librarian, a few good ID members could pull it off, maybe share out the workload, when we get busier.

- Ice -