Archaeology Archaeologists tackle chess puzzle

Discussion in 'Archaeology' started by mscbkc070904, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

A grubby green cousin of the world's most famous chessmen is puzzling archaeologists.
    The little knight on horseback, recently found by an amateur using a metal detector on farmland in north Nottinghamshire, is startlingly similar to chesspieces found hundreds of miles away in 1831, on a beach on the isle of Lewis.
    The find is being announced today at a British Museum conference to mark the government's agreement to keep funding a scheme to encourage the reporting of all finds.
    Not being of great commercial value, but of immense historic importance, the knight is the sort of find that might not previously have been reported.
    The Lewis chessmen, made of walrus ivory, are thought to be part of at least four different sets, so dozens of pieces are missing. Although the knight cannot be one - he is copper alloy - his helmet and shield are very like those of the Lewis knights. The style suggests a late 11th or early 12th century date, similar to the Lewis men.
    Another oddity is that x-ray and metal analysis has shown that the piece was once soldered on to something else.
    The face is too corroded to tell whether it was as vivid as those of the Lewis soldiers, biting their shields in rage or terror.
    Source: www.guardian.co.uk

2. mscbkc070904

Does anyone here at ID play chess and know the history of chess and how it came about to these particular pieces were made? Apparently chess, logic sense here, says it evolved in the Medieval Era. However I heard chess is alot older than that, the idea of the game that is.

And if so, that these pieces of the ches game were created after actual knights, servants and so forth, who were they developed of?

3. mscbkc070904

I found a site that shows us how western chess evolved in the 15th century to what it is today. Chess from what I read originated from India. This is a good link of the older generations of chess and the peices it contains.

http://www.stmoroky.com/games/chess/chess.htm

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

chess came from india orgianlly and was played by for people 2v2 and you had to check mate 2 kings, i watched it on this show tongiht