Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

Lit & The Arts any adventure novels?

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by junior_smith, Aug 31, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

does anyone know of an adventure author, who writes books similar to Indiana jones.

i used to be an avid crime reader, but i fell into the Dan Brown/ Davinci Code hype; and i loved the book and have read two others by Mr. brown.

Any ways does anyone know of any sort of adventure, fiction novels?

post script - i do not wish to read choose your own adventure books :D

2. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

Have you tried Clive Cussler? The Dirk Pitt novels are pretty good light adventure reading. I recommend the older ones.

3. intrepid

intrepid New Member

Edgar Rice Burroughs had some good adventure stories. Think "The Lost World."

4. junior_smith

i've heard about cussler, but is he more geared towards sea mysteries? (could be very wrong)

i will look into edgar rice burroghs i've never heard of him before

5. intrepid

intrepid New Member

He's most famous for Tarzan but his best writings were the "others."

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Hey Seth I was thinking Clive Cussler also. I first read Inca Gold and was hooked. It isnt all sea stuff, you should go to amazon and look up some excerpts, its good light reading. Very Indiana Jones but less Hollywood.

7. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Premium Member

If you haven't read them - Michael [Crichton]Creighton's books are excellent. Sphere and Congo were excellent reads.

Please don't pre-judge them by the movies that were made. yuk

8. junior_smith

its funny how all these books got turned into movies, lol

has anyone read any dan brown books?

9. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I agree with Bleys. He also wrote Jurrasic Park, to give you a better picture of what he writes about. I also liked his "The Andromeda Strain".

---pineapple

10. jedimaster

jedimaster New Member

Critchon is one of my favorite authors. All of his books are adventure like but they contain alot of sceintific detail which may turn off some people. Think it as a entertaining sceince lesson.

Have you read the Indiana Jones, novels?

11. justme1640

justme1640 Member

I'm going to have to add my vote for Clive Cussler -- good fun reads. But definitely start with the older book. I have all of them I think and have gotten a few friends hooked too.

And Michael [Crichton]Creighton is also good (can never remember the right spelling one is author and other is one of my orthopedic surgeons)

jm

12. Off_the_Street

Off_the_Street New Member

Crichton is a great novelist; his scientific expertise is honestly come by -- he is a physician.

I liked all of his stories (except "Sphere"); although I don't like many of his books-made-into-movies (except for Jurassic Park, of course).

But my favorite is the one which is not a science-thriller: "Eaters of the Dead" (made into a mediocre movie called "The Thirteenth Warrior", which is a re-telling of the Beowulf legend from the stand point of a tenth-century Arab.

13. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Actually, have you ever read any Jack London? Kind of old-school, but I enjoyed a few of them. The Sea Wolf was a favorite. Chris Bunch writes some excellent fiction, such as the Last legion series. I do too...

Frank Herbert's Dune series, as well as books liek teh Lazarus Project and the Santaroga Barrier are book reads.

If all else fails, Gibson. Read anything by William Gibson.

DE

14. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Premium Member

I forgot about Eaters of the Dead. Excellent read.:up: