Earth Science Another weekend in Florida ruined? - Hurricane Ivan

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Cinderloft, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

2. Cinderloft

Update: Its getting weaker and the track has it mostly away from Florida now, thank god. They really didnt need to hit the trifecta for a third straight weekend.

3. Cinderloft

I felt the need to bump and update this as there have been new developments. The storm has increased to 145 mph and is increasing. As well, the new 5 day track has it making landfall on the western side of the Florida peninsula. It had slowed down enough so it will not hit until after the weekend, but still, no one wants to see this trifecta hit.

4. Cinderloft

Update: Hurricane Ivan is now cat 5, 160mph+ sustained winds, and the track has it hitting a bit of Florida with Missouri, Louisiana, and Alabama set to be pummled. Will it weaken before it gets there? It is not too far away anymore. It is passing the western tip of Cuba and shall arrive shortly, still as a cat 5. Flooding will be rampant. Careful everyone who lives in the coastal areas of those states.

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Im in New Orleans and we really thought it was coming right for us. after looking at the atmosphere data myself with the direction of winds, high preassure, and low preassure i thought it was going to Mobile on saturday. i was close enough. we got strong winds here though about 50 mph max. considering landfall was so far away(200miles or so) and winds were that strong here this storm was masive. ive rode out every system in my life and this was on e of the eaisest in my location. on the west side of the storm i dontthink NO got even an inch of rain. we got luckey.

poor flordia they have to watch jeane now too and they have some more disturbances roling off africa now too. if anything comes in the gulf ill be sure to voice my opinions considering my location.

6. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

thoes guys on the panhandle and in alabama really got slamed by Ivan " the Terrible" i thnk that the damage count is going to be a high one on this storm. we in new orleans got luckey. now that the photos of the distruction are in i really feel sorry for the people there.