Archaeology Ancient civilization found in South Carolina

Discussion in 'Archaeology' started by Zsandmann, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Source: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/11/17/2004111753305.htm

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

This has been quite the year for discovering pre-clovis civilizations - what is this the third?

The one thing I really hate about these stories - lack of follow up later. You hear about a breakthrough or discovery and then nothing more.

B.

3. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Would these be the Hatfields or the McCoys ? :D

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

So, this is a tiny bit before Columbus DISCOVERED America.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I do not acknowledge someone DISCOVERING a place where people already live. ;)

I would like to know more about these people and their origins, this will be very informative if we can figure that out or their advancement technologically. But, I do agree with Bleys in sadly that this will probably be the last we ever hear about it.

5. jrsdls

jrsdls New Member

Has there been a common thread on all of these discoveries. It seems that the more we look the more we find. Maybe someone should keep track of this place and report back on it.

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

How so do you mean common thread. Do you mean as far as location, technology, tools, genetics? I think all these are important. It has been well known for some time that america had early settlers, I still find it odd that it is overlooked so often.

BTW, jrsdls, welcome to ID!

7. rawiea

rawiea New Member

I suppose we differ on that. I "discovered" Michigan, then married one of it's natives. :lol:

Thanks,Zsandmann. That was an interesting article. Seems that I am always learning. I never realized the Savannah River ever got close to South Carolina. I had thought , if I did at all, that it was all internally Georgia.