Technology AMD Sempron Processors!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DreamLandMafia, Sep 1, 2004.

1. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

They are Extremely cheap, the highest being at only 128$ from Newegg. These are not gaming chips or for anything to intensive. They are just mid range CPUs for normal everyday processing that isnt to tough on it. Im still waiting for the price on the Athlon 64s to drop enough into my pricerange. This new Sempron chip is sure to be another kick in Intels side.

Tom's Hardware Guide
    AMD Sempron

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I got 6 AMD 64 bit servers from AMD abuot 6 months ago to trial for 3 weeks. I have to say, quite fast and efficient. I ran those puppies through many load tests. They performed great. I am thinking to upgrade to 64bit computing next time I upgrade my desktops.

3. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I love the AMD line. Had my Athlon for about 3 years now, and I am HARD on my comp, really put it through its paces day in, day out. I have had no problems at all. I also used to do some personal sales and computer repair/consultation, etc. I always stood by the AMD line for whatever a person needed. Aside from a few glitches with other hardware, I never had too many service callbacks, all were from the pentium computers. Basically I lost my own job reccomending the AMD, but it just proves its worth to me even more. Double thumbs up for AMD.

4. DreamLandMafia

Pentium: Produces Erroneous Numbers Through Incorrect Understanding of Mathematics

5. JcMinJapan

I actually use both. Both seem OK to me. DLM... any articles on your assessment?

6. DreamLandMafia

Yeah...they are in the first post.........

One from Toms Hardware...and one straight from AMD.

7. JcMinJapan

AMD Pentium Benchmarks for Video Rendering

Here is a pretty good article with the actual benchmarks listed. Quite interesting results.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1156637,00.asp

It would be interesting to see more of these independant ones in different scenarios. Then can compare and people could get the right processor the the type of work tehy are doing. :)

8. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Since you guy are into CPU (ooohhh scary word. I wouldn't dare say it again). What the heck, let me try. C P U ! !

Well, I'm planning to custom build a computer for my 3d work. I'll be using software like Maya and Photoshop.

I was planning to custom build a dual, but have read alot on it and I conclude that it's not worth it. What cpu (huu oooh) is recommended for 3d artist?

9. crayon

crayon New Member

G5 from Apple. I still believe the Mac software is the best for graphics. I personally hate Macs, but I don't do graphics much.

Starts to get pricey adding ram and harddrives though.

If you were going to stick with an x86 box, I would suggest the AMD FX-53 (940 pin socket, same as Opteron).

Check out alienware for some prebuilt graphics boxes (MJ-12 4500: AMD Opteron 64bit, up to 4GB Ram, SATA Raid 0/1). Not to mention you can get one of those cool Alienware cases with this setup.

You will also want to look into PCI-Express. That should give you the best machine for future upgrades.

10. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Thank Crayon.

Mac is expensive and can't be expand. But I do agree that they're the father when comes to graphics. I didn't know
    that there's company out there building graphics boxes. I'll have a look.

by the way, AMD is getting popular... and alot of 3d artist are using it. So I guess AMD might be the right choice
    if I'm sticking with PC.