Archaeology Amazing Japanese Underground (photo)

Discussion in 'Archaeology' started by tablet, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I was looking for some reference material and I came across G-cans project. I'm not sure what it is because it's in Japanese. The body text can be translated with a search engine but not the header/menu because they're in picture format. Maybe JC can explain us what G-Cans Project is?

Anyway, by looking at the photos I believe it's Japanese underground Architecture and it's an ongoing project.

[​IMG]

I hope there are more of these. I can't get enough of it.

EDIT: Just found a link, a photographer explain what it's like to be down there.

Of course. That story is for another underground, but you get the idea...

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i rememebr seeing something like this where they take old nuclear silos and stuff, and making them into housing, could be somethign similar

3. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

I've been in caves, and felt that way- it may be likened to being back in the womb of mother earth- I hope they have engineered it so the major earthquakes don't end up hurting anyone- The japanese probably have to build underground- their population isn't shrinking either- What a great new vista this opens up for the architectural field-

4. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

I wonder when it's deep enough for a B.A.S.E jump.
    That'd be a hell of a rush!!!!!

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I have not heard about these. There was a discovery Channel episode on amazing superstructures (Or some name like that) and there is a pyramid style of building that is in development. But, this is many many years off.....

6. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Here is what I have found:

The Metropolitan Area Outer Discharge Channel is also known as the G-Cans Project.

This is presumably to help stave off flooding during the typhoon season.

Apparently, there was an article in LIFE Magazine and ABC News did a brief story on it.

I have been unable to locate either article.

--Doc

7. pyroboy4206

pyroboy4206 Aka that guy Premium Member

This is really cool, I think it would be a pretty cool thing to see if I ever visited Japan.