Lit & The Arts All Time Fiction Books

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by mscbkc070904, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I was wandering what was the members of ID all time favorite book. I am not talking about New World literature, but old school stuff. For instance, War and Peace, Moby Dick, Wuthering Heights, Tale of 2 Cities, The Secret Garden, etc.

Some of my favs are Moby Dick, Beowulf, I just had a brainfart, but I remember the authors, Twain, Hemingway, London, O'Brien.

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I like alot of Ayn Rand books (Written in the 30-50's , not terribly old school) She was ahead of her time with Atlas Shrugged , Anthem (available for free reading online), The Fountainhead , We the Living .

I have a cool book that was printed in the 1870's called The Prarie that would not pass the political correctness of today due to the way it spoke about native and afro-americans (use your immagination)

I read a bunch of C.S. Lewis writings because he worked alot of mathematical and science references into it : The Hunting Of The Snark has references to particle symetry , Through The Looking Glass is actually a game of chess . C.S Lewis was actually a mathematician/astronomer named Rev. Charled Luwidge Dawson (sp?)

I,ve been trying to read James Joyce's Ulysees , but find it boring .

The original Brahm Stokers Dracula is a great book once you get used to the wordy and polite old english writing style .

3. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

The Canterbury Tales in Middle English, Beowulf, The Faerie Queen, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, anything Jules Verne, Sir Author Conan Doyle, or H.G. Wells also.

4. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

That stinks when I cant remember authors or books, I have read so many, but Z you named a few I forgot about, thanks for unlocking the brainlock I had, same for you OD.

5. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

LOTRs, the Hobbit, Inkheart, all of the Artemis Fowl books, Dragonrider, Thief Lord, and some others I can't seem to think of at the moment.

6. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

ANything by Gibson, london or Sterling, Moby Dick, SNow Crash, The 47 Ronin Story, Blindness, and the entire Dune series. I like a lot of general crap too, but those are the classics.

DE

7. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:hail:

Jane Austen - wry and witty.
    Charles Dickens - the human condition.
    Alexander Dumas - powerful and moving.
    Alcott's Little Women
    Twain - simply wonderful.

Everyone should read the Count of Monte Cristo and a Tale of Two Cities - true man's inhumanity to man.

Authors who are overrated:
    Hemingway - never read a story of his that I liked.
    Bronte's Wuthering Heights - boring.........wanted to slap 'em both.
    Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter - couldn't relate to it.
    Steinbeck - depressing, depressing, depressing.

B.

8. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I've read the Count of Monte Cristo and also seen the movie. They were both very well made.

9. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I read the Silmarillian , the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, 6X from cover to cover, and cross referenced it, about 2200 pages in two weeks, each time I sat down to read it.

It wasn't speed reading 'cause I have to read and weigh every word when I read for enjoyment.

10. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Everything by Tolkien. (I AM A LOTR FREAK AND PROUD OF IT!!!)
    I actually did like Hemingway, especially the book The Old Man and the Sea.
    Who else... oh yes, we cannot forget Lloyd Alexander. Also check out George R.R. Martin and Patricia Mckillip.
    Lemony Snicket is darkly humorous, as are the Artemis Fowl books.
    Oh and I started reading the Scarlet Letter. It is pretty good, but I never finished it.
    As I have said in another thread, Edgar Allen Poe is pure genious.
    The last book I am about to reccommend is a book I just finished reading called The Gathering. READ IT. It is a powerful testimony to what makes humanity bad. Even If you dont like fantasy.
    Lois Lowry and Lois Duncan = The Giver and The Daughters of Eve.
    (Respectively)
    Lastly but DEFINITELY NOT least: Ursula Le Guin
    Too many books, not enough memory.
    My heart aches at the fact that I cannot remember the other great books out there.

11. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I loved "Prelude to Foundation" by Asimov.

12. dollmonster

dollmonster New Member

My all time favorite read is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Never before or since have I become so ingrossed in a book.. Steinbeck brings his characters so vividly to life , you miss them when the books finished!

13. Ape

Ape Premium Member

John Steinbeck is a great author but I cant think of anything already said other than The Bible and Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. Dont agree with everything he wrote but it was interesting to read his view on things.......actually just about his view on everything. I read the entire Bible but not Mien Kampf it's on the internet but I lost my enthusiam reading it on the internet. Need to find the book somehow. Cool though.

http://www.hitler.org/writings/Mein_Kampf/

14. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Opps the thread is on Fiction books srry didn't fully read. :bnghd:

15. Pookey

Pookey Member

Anything by Orwell, Card, Hemingway, or Vern

16. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

I would be remiss if I didn't add Flatland by Edwin Abbott Abbott (not a typo - his dad married his cousin...) to this list. I love the way it makes me use my imagination.

17. TheWidowGarret

TheWidowGarret Premium Member

"The Idiot" Fyodor Dostoevsky

18. pieman

pieman Premium Member

oscar wilde-picture of dorian grey(rock n roll),
    edgar allen poe, reading his books as a kid made me what i am today.

other than that............i can't stand so called classics

all the brontes.......soooooooooooo boring & repressed
    austin...................trashy romance after trashy romance
    dickens.................comicbook writer before comicbooks
    steinbeck..............tries to hard
    hemmingway.........see above
    joyce....................see above, but without puntuation,
    vern.....................bad sf, i hate bad sf.
    i could go on but i'm dozing off,

19. marcus

marcus Premium Member

Fyodor Dostoevsky- Notes From Underground,Crime & Punishment,Brothers Karamazov,The Idiot,The Possessed
    Albert Camus- The Outsider,The Plague
    Alexandre Dumas-Count Of Monte Cristo
    Franz Kafka- The Trial
    Chinua Achebe- Things Fall Apart

20. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

The Old Man And The Sea- Erent hemingway

best book ever. not comic booky but simple to a simple story. it is writing at its best. just evrything about it

also borges is good, and ina new writeer i do like cuelho even if its a bit sappy