Chit Chat A Question About Old People

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Icewolf, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Is it true that the older you get the faster time moves for you? Surely there's a scientist here who can prove it?

2. mrwupy

mrwupy New Member

As a child my first main goal was 16 and to get that drivers lisense. It took forever. then I wanted to be 18. That also took forever. then 21 and it took a lifetime to get there. Next thing I knew I was married, had children, got caught up in the grind of raising kids and working and such and YES, time did pick up speed.

It seems like yesterday i was 21 and I woke up this morning and I was 44. I'm serious, time IS picking up speed.

2004 was a blink of an eye for me. It went by that quick.

When I was young a year lasted a year. Now i'm lucky if it lasts a day.

Nothing scientific to this but just my observations.

Love and light,

Wupy

3. Young William

Young William Premium Member

I tend to consider experiental factors when thinking about this topic.(Which I often do) Life is not a "check-off" list per se, but a series of trials that some take in, while others ignore.
    When in pursuit of the seemingly unattainable, I find myself consistently reaching out to grab that which, in turn, continues to flee.
    Emotions seem to counterbalance my perception of "time' while retrospect seems to dictate a sense of the distantly familiar.
    At 27, I now seek only to continue with the path I've chosen, sure it's true that the years are unwanted, but the knowledge gained, seems to draw comparisons to a lessened version of self.

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

when you get older i think it slows down because if youre like 6 and you count to 60 it takes you a lot shorter than if you are older and if you are 60 and count a mintue then you are usually over a minitue by the time ur done, but i think i may have that backwards

5. Time is just time, 60 minutes equals one hour, 24 hours equal one day and so on and so on. If I like what I am doing with my time it goes by fast because I am not watching it. If I don't like what I am doing it drags on and on because I am watching it. I turn 44 this month and this past year seems to have lasted and enternity, you figure it out ...did I like what I was doing this past year? Here's a hint at this past year.....unemployed. Before this last year my life has flown by ...I stayed busy.

6. Kostya

Kostya New Member

its because of your memory. as you get older your brain doesnt register everything as well as when you were 10, it also loses the capacity to record as much information. when you are younger there is less stored information for your brain to retrieve so you think about less topics more often, whereas when you're older you have much more information to go through and most of it doesn't get accessed often (which leads to memory degradation) and gives you a sense of many time lapses, or as if those times hasn't gone by at all, thus leading to a feeling of time going by faster.

7. badkitty

badkitty Member

By giving my view here does that mean I am admitting I am old? :frog:

I propose that time appers to speed up as we age because we become more forward thinking. As children we live each moment, each experience is new and engrossing. As adults we begin to think about the future more and live in the moment less. We spend our days at work thinking about the things we have to do at home and we spend our time at home thinking aobut the things we have to do at work. Our lives become very full and busy and most of us begin to feel there aren't enough hours in the day to get done all we need to or want to do. So we begin to value time more. As very young children we are barely aware of time. As teens we are in a hurry to grow older and this anticipation makes time appear to move more slowly. So maybe the truth is our perception as adults is more accurate and it is our perception as children that is skewed. The very young pay time no mind, teens innacurately view time as moving too slowly. It is all relevant to our outlook on life, our responsibilities and activities and our hopes and desires.

I think what is more important is how we spend our time. How we live our lives - are we actually living them to the fullest? Are we experinecing new experiences and are we aware of all the things we can learn each day? Are we forgoing the present because of some expectation of the future? None of us are guaranteed a future - not even a future second. So if we want to slow down time all we have to do is start living in the exact moment we are in and live the future when (if) we get there.

And if that fails - pretent it is 4:30 on a Friday afternoon all the time - that is the longest half hour in the world!

8. ubermacht003

ubermacht003 New Member

Well - An English Mentor I Once Had
    When I Queried Him With This Question
    Graham What Do You Think Happens When You Die
    His Response -
    Well Then
    I Wouldn't Like To Think That
    The Very Last Time I Close My Eyes
    There's Only Darkness Nothing More
    Would You -
    :wow:

9. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

i think this is the wrong thread, did you not mean to post in what happens after you die thread?

10. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

It is not that you get time to move faster is just that as you get old you value time more, and been more awared of time feels like it moves faster.:(

When you are young you feel like you have all the time in the world, as you get older is not so.

11. switchblade

switchblade Member

I was a home care assistant for a few years, and did ask loads of them similar questions. Most of them said that from about 21, time seemed to speed up, but that about 70 years it slowed back down again. Most of the people I saw were well into their 80's or 90's. The most agile and clear thinking people I have ever met were 96 and 100 years old! They agreed that this was quite likely to be due to large amounts of boredom and/or lack of energy/ability to use time constructively. The message from them all was do it while you're young enough. Chase your dreams and love what you spend time doing.

12. Ikebana

Ikebana Member

HEY WATCH OUT FOR THAT "OLD" STUFF:cryb:

Okay, sure, yes, time passes much more quickly as you get older, sometimes, depending on the individual AND if you can remember that time is even passing in the first place...ok not funny, but Why? Well it is simple! You see, as we age, there are MORE things to remember and more things to forget, so we spend a greater part of the day trying to remember what it was we forgot !!! Follow??? Ok if you are still with me, it also depends on the amount of time your FAMILY who has usually moved on to their own life, remembers that you are still around and bothers to keep in touch. If you are left by your family to your own self and you have nothing of interest in your life, then time would most likely pass slowly as you wait desperately for the phone to ring, or the mailman to deliver that special letter, or for the EMAILs that you HOPE to find in your E-Mail boxes etc etc etc. However if your family keeps in touch, you have a good support system, a healthy amount of things to do such as exercise, study, and hobbies, then time will most likely fly by! I know whereof I speak :cryb::help: