Physical Science A Marshmallow At The Speed Of Light!

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by JcMinJapan, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Ok, here is an interesting fact I stumbled on.

Did you know that if a marshmallow hit the Earth at 99.99% the speed of light it would leave a crater several miles across?

I wonder what a baseball at the speed of light would do.

2. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

I would assume a greater amount of damage as the baseball weights more and is larger. I do not know the actual mathematical calculations. I know it would definately hurt like the dickens if instead of Earth as a target, it was hurtling towards Uranus.

Cinderloft - 1, Really-fast baseball - 0

3. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

LMAO !!!

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Hahah, thats hilarious Cinder!

I have a marshmallow blowgun. You should see when i hit people with them. They act like i chucked a quarter at them. Then when i tell them its a marshmallow, they finally try and pretend like it didnt bother them.

I can just see it now, their home completely destroyed. I come walking up behind them. "oh, but its just a marshmallow!"

....hehehe

---pineapple

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

As speed increases the mass also increases, a marshmallow going at that speed would probably have the same mass as a piece of lead about the size of your house. all in the size of a marshmallow, scary, lol.

6. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

I hope no one decides to throw a marshmallow at Earth. It would be such a shame to waste a marshmallow like that.

7. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

ILPyou are a weird and funny guy lol