Technology A Guide To Creating Astro Scenes In Photoshop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by s0mah0liday, Dec 16, 2004.

1. s0mah0liday

s0mah0liday New Member

In this guide I will show you how to make astro scenes in photoshop, appearing as tho you have artistic talent, and vision for what may exist in our universe. This guide is more of a tech demo rather than a display of art. I am trying to demonstrate how to use rather how to make.

Start with a 1000x1000 document, transparent background. Note: Anything that I don't mention leave default.

Star Field
    1) Start by filling your document black with the paint bucket tool. Filter > sketch > reticulation 6.10.10 as settings. Now you'll notice you have basically a crowded set of dim uniform stars.

2) Image > adjustments > brightness/contrast -100.80 as your settings. Now many of the stars have faded.

3) Layers > Duplicate. Have your new layer selected, filter > blur > gaussian blur. Set blur to 0.2. Image > adjustments
    > brightness/contrast -100.80.

You should have something like this

Nebula gas

1) Create a new layer. Fill it with black. Filter > render > diffrence clouds. Press Ctrl + U 0.68.-72.

2) Now take the eraser tool. Begin erasing setions where you dont want gas to be. Don't worry about what the edges of where u erased look like, just keep them as rounded as possible and we will fix that.

3) From here take the burn tool at 20px. Burn the edges that appear out of place.

Now you should be at something similar to this

Bright stars

1)This is where you "vision" comes into play. Create a new layer, set blending mode lighten. Fill it with black and duplicate 4 times. Ctrl + J is the Key combo to duplicate a layer.

2) Filter > render > lense flair 30%.50-300mm. Press ctrl + f a three times. You should have a bright star. Now in order to remove the circles of refracted light. (Mizar plz don't own me on that one :s) take the polygon lasso tool and take the area that you want to remove. Filter > blur > gaussian blur. Set it to 200 which should turn that area on that layer black. If you mess up with the polygon tool and can't get rid of it, finish your shape then Select > deselect.

3) On each blank layer you may put only the stars you want to be of a certain color. Press Ctrl + U to color the stars on each layer. Remember to click colorize on this menu.

4) From here its on you. Throw a load of lense flairs in, maybe a diffrent color gas. In order to acheive that, create a new layer, filter > render > diffrence clouds. Colorize and delete what you dont want.

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

How did you get the circles from the light glare?

---pineapple

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

shouldn't this be put in the technology forum?

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

It was more of a leisure art. So I put it in "The Lounge"
    There really isn't a set forum for this kind of stuff. It could have fit in more than one.

5. s0mah0liday

s0mah0liday New Member

Well I made a lair for each color of star. This circles are from assorted lense flairs and just me generally not cleaning it us. I like the abstraction of it all though so I've decided to leave much of it. As for where this should go lolz I don't know ice i wrote this for the kids on the astro board but apparently it does not belong there. Mizar moved it here.